Banks suck!

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
soup
Expatriate
Andorra

Banks suck!

Post by soup »

I'm trying to open a friggin bank account and ABA has asked for a picture and a social security number. I'm not interested in being in a database or any other shit. Maybank wants a work permit, even though I have retirement visa. :facepalm:

Anyone know of a bank that is a bit more relaxed?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Banks suck!

Post by AndyKK »

soup wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:01 pm I'm trying to open a friggin bank account and ABA has asked for a picture and a social security number. I'm not interested in being in a database or any other shit. Maybank wants a work permit, even though I have retirement visa. :facepalm:

Anyone know of a bank that is a bit more relaxed?
What City is this in?
I had problems over two years ago, at the Maybank in Battambang. They asked me for business address and licence, plus some tax form because I had a EB visa. I did not have no problem with ABA. Just had to show passport and visa, rent agreement.
Another Cambodian bank I am with, had me sign so many forms due to the, or some American tax agreement.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

Are you a yank?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Are you asking me or the original poster? I am not a Yank. But it did not seem to matter to the bank manager what nationality I was, even on my British passport showed this. It made no difference. They just told me all nationalities had to sign the forms.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

soup wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:01 pm I'm trying to open a friggin bank account... I'm not interested in being in a database...
:?
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

I can't imagine Cambodian banks are worse than Chinese banks! Oh, the stories I have after six years...
You could be next.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

Asking a bank to open an account for you but not keep any details in a database is about as stupid as asking the sperm bank to keep your deposit but not store your DNA.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

^Having no money is like shooting blanks....................
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Last I checked, ABA was twenty dollar deposit, plus id and rental contract for residents or fiddy dollar and passports for non residents.
soup
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by soup »

prahocalypse now wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:14 pm Asking a bank to open an account for you but not keep any details in a database is about as stupid as asking the sperm bank to keep your deposit but not store your DNA.
Blo me!

Of course, I know this you miserable cunt.

I thought everyone knew making one's self vulnerable to identity theft in a third world country due to unnecessarily giving out unneeded information was par.

They didn't even ask this much in Panama.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic