"Exporting" Cash Out of Cambodia?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
rasputin
Expatriate
United States of America

"Exporting" Cash Out of Cambodia?

Post by rasputin »

Below, a paste from
http://www.customs.gov.kh/other-procedu ... urrencies/

Foreign Currencies Export
Those who wish to export foreign currencies from Cambodia with the value exceeding 10,000 USD or with the value over the declared value when imported shall as for permission from by the National Bank of Cambodia and other competent authorities.

If one actually wanted to take USD in the five figures out of the country, who in the Nat'l Bank do you ask? My Google-fu fails to ferret out the exact procedure.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
davegorman
BANNED
France

Re: "Exporting" Cash Out of Cambodia?

Post by davegorman »

I don’t think the NBC would be worried about five or even six figure sums.

It’s the big $$$$$$$$$$$.
rasputin
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by rasputin »

I doubt they'll say hey no biggie. It's the law.
If you have unreported +$10k on you at the border and they find out, it's bye-bye birdie.
On rereading your post, maybe you simply meant permission would be a routine matter for relatively small sums like a few tens of thous.

Still hoping for an answer about the procedure.
Probably no one on the forum has ever needed to request currency export permission, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"Probably no one on the forum has ever needed to request currency export permission, but it doesn't hurt to ask."

No, but it hurts being too poor to answer.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Nobody is going to look in your suitcase on the way out but international law will track any transfer of over $10k
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

rasputin wrote:Below, a paste from

Those who wish to export foreign currencies from Cambodia with the value exceeding 10,000 USD or with the value over the declared value when imported shall as for permission from by the National Bank of Cambodia and other competent authorities.

If one actually wanted to take USD in the five figures out of the country, who in the Nat'l Bank do you ask? My Google-fu fails to ferret out the exact procedure.

Foget NBC. Ask Ly Hour.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Some places have dogs which can smell money, and drugs.

There are people doing business who spend much more than $10000. They move money. I dont know how. That is why there is a demand for US dollars. Business people buy US dollars for international purchases.

I dont know how much you want to take. Could you take smaller amounts over a number of trips?

The other way is to have an arrangement with someone who is bringing money into Cambodia. You give them US dollars in Cambodia, and they give you US dollars in the US, for example.

Where do you want to take the money? The US?
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
TheWarrior
Expatriate
Romania

Post by TheWarrior »

rasputin wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:05 pm Below, a paste from

Why you dont do bank wire????
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Bank to bank transfers can be expensive.

I suggest look at various options for transferring the money and find the one that suits you.

One option is Western Union.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

I can't speak for send out of Cambodia, but it is NOT expensive to send an international bank transfer to Cambodia - and it is FAR cheaper than using Western Union.

When I send from USA to Cambodia there is an origination fee of $20 (which my credit union waives up to three times a year). The money goes through an intermediary bank and they charge another $20 (I use JPM for this) I believe and Acleda charges another $20 (though they claim its only $10 - every time I've sent money its a total of $40 that i'm being charged). Any financial institution should be able/willing to tell you exactly how much they charge to initiate the wire transfer. You should be able to select an intermediary bank to use and can get a list from the receiving institution as to the one's they work with. And finally your receiving bank should be willing to tell you how much they charge to receive the transfer (if anything).

If you don't have a bank account set up I'd consider asking ANZ what they might be able to do - they might be a bit more expensive but would expect everything to be transparent in terms of costs.

I would definitely NOT recommend trying to take more than $10,000 USD undeclared into the USA. They find it you lose it. Period.

Hope that helps.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic