Ladies going to the wat in white sashes?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Ladies going to the wat in white sashes?

Post by Multipox »

In the morning there is often a procession of usually middle aged matrons going to the wat at the end of street 172.

They wear white sashes tied diagonally across the trunk, and they carry containers of food.

The food may be a donation to the monks but does anyone know about the sashes?
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
Splashback
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Ladies going to the wat in white sashes?

Post by Splashback »

Sounds like old dears in traditional attire for Pchum Ben. I like it. Monks will also eat meat donated to them, if they are not killing it or preparing it themselves. The gates of hell have opened.
God
Omnipotent
Cambodia

Post by God »

Splashback wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:28 pm Sounds like old dears in traditional attire for Pchum Ben. I like it. Monks will also eat meat donated to them, if they are not killing it or preparing it themselves.

The gates of hell have opened.

Take my word for it. The gates of hell are always open.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Pchum Ben marks the time they are open. You’re probably funnier when you know what you’re talking about.
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

fax wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:37 am Pchum Ben marks the time they are open. You’re probably funnier when you know what you’re talking about.
Ok, we are making progress.
It is a Buddhist or local ceremony called Pchum Ben.
What does the ceremony stand for and why do mainly middle aged women seem to be doing it?
No men.

From Wikipedia:
"Pchum Ben (Khmer: បុណ្យភ្ជុំបិណ្ឌ; "Ancestors' Day") is a 15-day Cambodian religious festival, culminating in celebrations on the 15th day of the tenth month in the Khmer calendar, at the end of the Buddhist lent, Vassa.[1][2] In 2013, the national holiday fell on 03, 04, 5 October in the Gregorian calendar,[3] the 2015 season began on 23 September and ends on 12 October.

The day is a time when many Cambodians pay their respects to deceased relatives of up to 7 generations.[4] Monks chant the suttas in Pali language overnight (continuously, without sleeping) in prelude to the gates of hell opening, an event that is presumed to occur once a year, and is linked to the cosmology of King Yama originating in the Pali Canon. During this period, the gates of hell are opened and ghosts of the dead (preta) are presumed to be especially active. In order to combat this, food-offerings are made to benefit them, some of these ghosts having the opportunity to end their period of purgation, whereas others are imagined to leave hell temporarily, to then return to endure more suffering; without much explanation, relatives who are not in hell (who are in heaven or otherwise reincarnated) are also generally imagined to benefit from the ceremonies. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pchum_Ben
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

So few men go because men are probably afraid the demons will drag them down into hell.
God
Omnipotent
Cambodia

Post by God »

fax wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:37 am Pchum Ben marks the time they are open.

You’re probably funnier when you know what you’re talking about.
God wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:22 am
Splashback wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:28 pm Sounds like old dears in traditional attire for Pchum Ben. I like it. Monks will also eat meat donated to them, if they are not killing it or preparing it themselves.

The gates of hell have opened.

Take my word for it. The gates of hell are always open.

When God says the Gates of Hell are always open he means for all religions and all people , not just those who attend a Pchum Ben .

Best you read The Bible, then you will know what we both are talking about.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

don't be angering God, people- it never ends well
he can be capricious too
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Multipox wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:09 pm So few men go because men are probably afraid the demons will drag them down into hell.
Most blokes are probably in monk robes? Those women are nuns, maechis.

God wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:38 am Best you read The Bible, then you will know what we both are talking about.
My bad, I thought this was a thread about Pchum Ben!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic