How do you respond when people tell you their financial problems?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

How do you respond when people tell you their financial problems?

Post by rozzieoz »

We regularly have Khmer people tell us their financial problems, and I feel so uncomfortable each time it happens.

Long-term friends, people we have just met, random strangers - they all want us to know their dramas.

How do you deal with it when it happens to you?
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: How do you respond when people tell you their financial problems?

Post by phuketrichard »

Locals, even when there making money, always have financial problems...

"well,that sucks but........"
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

rozzieoz wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:34 am We regularly have Khmer people tell us their financial problems, and I feel so uncomfortable each time it happens.

Long-term friends, people we have just met, random strangers - they all want us to know their dramas.

I usually give them all the money I have on me then follow them round to see them, as I suspected, do it to everyone else they presume gullible enough. There are some genuine cases around, but mostly it's just like the local beggars here - there are so many people pretending that the genuine cases get bunched in with them.

"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I have two wallets, one in each pocket. One has dollars in it, and the other has Riel. I always open the wallet with Riel and show them all the 100 r notes I have, and tell them I know what it's like to be poor. Then give them all the Riel notes.

In case I am robbed, guess which wallet I would hand over .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

rozzieoz wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:34 am We regularly have Khmer people tell us their financial problems, and I feel so uncomfortable each time it happens.

This has happened to me a few times. Now when they start I hold up my hands palms facing them and say, ''STOP'' with a little enthusiasm. Working so far.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

when they know you are broke they don't do this.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

I offer them a drink from my one remaining shoe filled with my tears.
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

Offer advice on budgeting and living within your means.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3010 using Tapatalk

rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Digg3r wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:07 am Offer advice on budgeting and living within your means.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3010 using Tapatalk

Yeah, THAT'S what I want to do after a day's work while I am out eating, drinking and trying to have fun.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

We work with some very poor people, many of whom are always looking for a handout (because, let's face it, that's what white westerners do).

We've learned to be very blunt - "I will not give you money today." That's really, really tough to do, but you actually save face all round, because if they put effort into a spiel, and you don't reciprocate with cash, they feel you've ripped them off.

If they follow that with a cunning look and "Oh, maybe tomorrow then" you can guarantee that the next time they see you it will be "money today, you PROMISED me" and they'll try the whole guilt trip. Follow up "maybe tomorrow" with a firm "I will not give you money."

We've actually made some true friends with this, and saved a whole lot of wasted time and aggro with those that just see the walking ATM.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic