A year in Kampuchea...

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Stuey747
Tourist

A year in Kampuchea...

Post by Stuey747 »

Hello expats of Cambodia.
I've lived in Thailand 15 years but never been to Cambodia. I'm looking at spending at least a year there soon. Only two q's... 1) where to get an ordinary/business visa before flying?
2)Any advice on fairly cheap rental accomodation in/around Pnohm Penh.. I may have a nice house in Thailand but I've dusted off me rucksack and want a bit of old school travel! Nice hotel occasionally tho...
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: A year in Kampuchea...

Post by phuketrichard »

get it when u fly in, $35 and a photo
plenty of inexpensive accommodations around town, stay at hotel and look for a few weeks before u decide, I stay at the Hometown Suites on street 172, $20/night
get a big room on the 5th floor with a window overlooking the back parking lot
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Stuey747
Tourist

Post by Stuey747 »

Cheers phuketrichard! I ain't a daft lad and always survived! Bit of help don't hurt tho...
Only thing I've noted is u might be refused on the plane without visa and might be refused entry to the country without return flight.. what's ur experience, pal?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Stuey747 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:21 pm Cheers phuketrichard! I ain't a daft lad and always survived! Bit of help don't hurt tho...
Only thing I've noted is u might be refused on the plane without visa and might be refused entry to the country without return flight.. what's ur experience, pal?
There is a VOA (visa on arrival) system in Cambodia and there is no need to get one in advance unless you are from one of a very few countries that needs one in advance (Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Iraq, Sri Lanka being examples, I can't find the list right now but none are European/ Americas/ Australasia). Thailand has stipulations that you need to prove onward travel, enforced or not, but Cambodia doesn't have that rule on their books. Getting one in advance at a Cambodian Embassy will cost a lot more too. I've only done that once from Vientiane but it was way back when the border at Aranyaprathet/ Poipet had only just been opened to foreigners so I wasn't totally sure I'd get one there. I ended up flying in anyway.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Stuey747
Tourist

Post by Stuey747 »

Thanks John! Visa on arrival, ok. Might just pay a bit more for return flight just in case...slight paranoia I guess!
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

If your paranoia is that overwhelming & you do not believe the advice given you can always puchase a refundable onward ticket & then get reimbursed. :tard:
Stuey747
Tourist

Post by Stuey747 »

Don't think AirAsia do refunds, Luigi. Something else to check along with if they let you board without a visa...
Thanks for your input...
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Check this :
https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/post165 ... OA#p165056

Also try a search on "one-way tickets" or "Cambodia VOA system"" on the forum. It's a question that comes up quite often.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Stuey747 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:34 pm Thanks John! Visa on arrival, ok. Might just pay a bit more for return flight just in case...slight paranoia I guess!
i flew from Chiang Rai in December to Phnom Penh,
they started questioning me at check in about onward travel
i told them i dont plan to onward travel because i live there
shew them my previous visa extensions
and they were fine

if i was you i would have some sort of back up just in case

i also had a problem flying from new zealand to Phnom Penh
and the only way i luckily got round it was because i had booked some accommodation in Thailand within the month, so they saw that as enough proof of me planning to onward travel
maybe that could be a cheaper option, just get a booking.com booking with free cancellation
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Stuey747 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:43 pm Don't think AirAsia do refunds, Luigi. Something else to check along with if they let you board without a visa...
Thanks for your input...
I have no idea but ezly determined via.............wait for it, AIRASIA.
My insticnts tell me no just because they are known as a ''low cost airlines''
with more $ charged for everything they consider extra.

Just go for it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic