Mekong Hotel in Kampong Cham open?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Mekong Hotel in Kampong Cham open?

Post by Kammekor »

I tried to contact them in every way possible, but it seems they're closed. Which would be sad because I have to spend a few nights in KC next weeks.

Any confirmation / leads from boots on the ground in KC?
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Mekong Hotel in Kampong Cham open?

Post by pissontheroof »

Alberto frenzi if you have facebook would know
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Covid-19 has knocked over the classic hotel. It's closed. Sad.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:48 pm Covid-19 has knocked over the classic hotel. It's closed. Sad.
Oh. Yes that's sad. That hotel was an institution. Maybe it will reopen if or when the borders open ?
simon.sayed
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by simon.sayed »

There was a story about a chinese crazy guy escaping from there the other day on cne. maybe its now used as a quarantine center.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

simon.sayed wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:02 pm There was a story about a chinese crazy guy escaping from there the other day on cne. maybe its now used as a quarantine center.
Might be true, there's a tent set up in front, but all looks closed.
barang_TK
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by barang_TK »

Mekong Hotel has been used as a quarantine center last March when a boat cruise arrived from Vietnam with a few british tourists tested positives to Covid.
I have no idea if it will re-open soon or not...
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

barang_TK wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:59 am Mekong Hotel has been used as a quarantine center last March when a boat cruise arrived from Vietnam with a few british tourists tested positives to Covid.
It was long closed by the time they started using it for quarantine.
I imagine the owner has a very large development planned for that prime riverside plot.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

epidemiks wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:07 pm
barang_TK wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:59 am Mekong Hotel has been used as a quarantine center last March when a boat cruise arrived from Vietnam with a few british tourists tested positives to Covid.
It was long closed by the time they started using it for quarantine.
I imagine the owner has a very large development planned for that prime riverside plot.
What hotel are we talking about, the Mekong Hotel or the Mekong Crossing hotel? I would have gathered the latter, and that was never used for Covid-19, but the other one was. So, for the confusion of mixed information, the Mekong Crossing was closed on the day we left when we were on the last bike trip. The owner who is a long-time friend did close up shop because of the result of Covid-19 due more to the lack of customers, but there was added presence with police sitting in the restaurant area on a daily basis. The owner was to return home with his young family to their home in Phnom Penh.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Currently the Mekong crossing is closed, it's under renovation. The Mekong hotel is also closed, maybe for quarantine.

Kampong Cham is a bliss now, extremely quiet and peaceful. But, loads of venues have indeed closed. The expat / NGO community has largely vanished and tourists are nowhere to be seen of course.

One more development: passapp is working in KC now. Flagdown fare 2.500 r.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic