Article on Khmer Rouge

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
james1234
Expatriate
Belgium

Article on Khmer Rouge

Post by james1234 »

Dear expats,

I have some questions.

I am writing an article on the Khmer Rouge and the History of Cambodia. It will be published in Cambodia too.
I want to give good honest information, but I don't want to step unnecessary on sensitive toes.

So: What info/opinion is to avoided? Can I write without fear and hesitation about the whole episode?
Can I publish the Flag of Khmer Rouge and Kampuchea?
Can I publish pictures of the killing fields and Pol Pot?
Since the Khmer themselves have museums and info about the killing fields it doesn't seem to be a problem to me.
I am not going to publish about politics in the latest years!

Thx!
Jim Gil
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Article on Khmer Rouge

Post by Jim Gil »

I don't recall any cases of journalists/writers being prosecuted just for writing about this time. I think the hardest thing would be finding anything that hasn't been written about many times before.

Although most older people 50yrs+ will have experienced a fair amount of real trauma during this time if you take the time to get to know them, even a little they are surprisingly open about it, even the red ones.
you may want to steer clear of digging too deep into certain prominent individuals of today, their general backgrounds are well known, if you wish to enjoy a nice quiet life in this country.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

where are you?
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

frank lee bent wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 7:05 am where are you?
good question, the OP seems pretty ignorant abt this to be even publishing writing abt cambodia, WTH?
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Be careful not to give a one eyed account of the story and stick to the facts as they are told.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

who is ur audience?
what point of view will you take that has not already been taken?
what other info have you dug up that has not already been put in print?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
james1234
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by james1234 »

Hey,

I am in Belgium now. Will be in Siem Reap in September and November.
The article will be for tourist, who know (almost) nothing about this period.
It will be nothing pretentious, just informative. No breaking news or spectacular insides. Just informing the visitors of Cambodia.
good question, the OP seems pretty ignorant about this to be even publishing, writing about Cambodia, WTH?
Sorry, don't know what you mean. How old are you? You write like my teenage son on Facebook messenger. Too hard to write complete words? I know my English is not perfect and my article will be edited, but at least I try! :evil:

Any problems publishing the flags of Khmer Rouge or Kampuchea?
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Oh boy, here we go.

No offence, James, but tourists can access information on this easily online or offline, hundreds, perhaps even thousands of books have been written on the subject and are pushed on tourists wherever they walk by street-sellers.

You're a bit late to the long-running and almost overdone game.

Open a bar, no one's ever done that. I jest.

Write about something else.
james1234
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by james1234 »

You call your self a genius? Great advice.

I have been publishing my whole life, mostly about stuff that has been published many times before. I just do it better. I wrote over 40 books, published more than 200, sold millions of them in 24 countries, made magazines for decades. So I probably don't know what I am doing or talking about. O yeah, of course I did no market research.

I'd better open a bar, although I have never done that before and there are way too many bars in Cambodia!
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

james1234 wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 11:32 am You call your self a genius? Great advice.

I have been publishing my whole life, mostly about stuff that has been published many times before. I just do it better. I wrote over 40 books, published more than 200, sold millions of them in 24 countries, made magazines for decades. So I probably don't know what I am doing or talking about. O yeah, of course I did no market research.

I'd better open a bar, although I have never done that before and there are way too many bars in Cambodia!
You really don't understand sarcasm, do you?

Experienced publisher who asks for basic advice on a general info public forum...yeah, right, LOL

I was trying to save you hassle, but go ahead and write War and Peace 25, waste your time, who cares?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic