Is Risperidone (Risperdal) available in Cambodia?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
LarryLemur
Tourist

Is Risperidone (Risperdal) available in Cambodia?

Post by LarryLemur »

I have a friend that would like to join me here eventually that is pretty much being stopped by the need for this medication. I was going to try walking around and asking at pharmacies, but I am somewhat overwhelmed with the sheer number of them. if anyone knows of a place that sells it, or generally how much it costs I would greatly appreciate it. If its not available in Cambodia is it in Thailand? thanks in advance.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Re: Is Risperidone (Risperdal) available in Cambodia?

Post by Kuroneko »

LarryLemur wrote:I have a friend that would like to join me here eventually that is pretty much being stopped by the need for this medication. I was going to try walking around and asking at pharmacies, but I am somewhat overwhelmed with the sheer number of them. if anyone knows of a place that sells it, or generally how much it costs I would greatly appreciate it. If its not available in Cambodia is it in Thailand? thanks in advance.
Seeing that Pharmacie de la gare appears closed for renovation you could try Psar Tapang Pharmacy on the junction between 51 st and the road that runs east west, just south of Central Market. Talk to the pharmacist (young female) the assistants are a bit clueless sometimes.

I obviously don't know the age of your friend and I'm sure he is aware of this, but I'll post anyway.

IMPORTANT WARNING: (from Medline Plus)

Studies have shown that older adults with dementia (a brain disorder that affects the ability to remember, think clearly, communicate, and perform daily activities and that may cause changes in mood and personality) who take antipsychotics (medications for mental illness) such as risperidone have an increased risk of death during treatment. Older adults with dementia may also have a greater chance of having a stroke or ministroke during treatment. Tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking furosemide (Lasix).

Seroquel (Quetiapine), Zyprexa (Olanzapine) and Abilify (Aripiprazole) may be viable alternatives and worth checking for availability. Obviously needs to check with his GP

Note you could also check with the head receptionist (I think it's the Filipino lady) at Central Hospital (82A, STREET 154, PHNOM PENH,) which is very close to Psar Tapang. She should be able to help.
Last edited by Kuroneko on Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Is Risperidone (Risperdal) available in Cambodia?

Post by Anchor Moy »

The go-to pharmacy in PP is usually Pharmacie de la Gare, but it's being renovated at the moment. https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/ask-the ... 10378.html

Until it reopens you could ask at any UCare chemist shop. However, this type of medication is rare in Cambodia (as is mental health care.)Possibly track down a psychiatrist who would know which drugs are available in Cambodia. Try TPO : http://tpocambodia.org/tpo-about/ or maybe someone here knows of a western psychiatrist ? I'm pretty sure there are one or two for westerners.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic