Fantastik

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Fantastik

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Or a similar product. Where can I find some? Weirdly enough wall cleaner is kind of hard to find here. I've used various stuff in the past but they either don't clean or are too harsh and paint comes off along with the fingerprints I'm trying to scrub out...

Hometop didn't have any. Forgive me if it's available at Lucky, I never go there so wouldn't know.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Fantastik

Post by Milord »

It's the same as weak Lye. Sodium Hydroxide.

Try diluted vinegar with a drop of dish soap.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Milord wrote:It's the same as weak Lye. Sodium Hydroxide.

Try diluted vinegar with a drop of dish soap.
Yes vinegar is a good "solution"
The environmental working group site is worth looking at and while it lists dangers of common houshold cleaners it gives safe home made alternatives, eg.
Clorox, Fantastik, Febreze, Formula 409, Mr. Clean, and Spic and Span— EWG says many sprays sold under these brand names contain quaternary ammonium compounds or ethanolamine, compounds that can cause or trigger asthma.

Safer Solution: Create your own potent germ-killing cleaner for pennies by combining nine parts water and one part white vinegar in a spray bottle. For extra-tough jobs, such as those involving raw meat, you can spray hydrogen peroxide (spot-test first) followed by the vinegar solution and kill virtually all germs.
http://www.rodalenews.com/environmental ... s-database
shorttimereader
Tourist

Post by shorttimereader »

I know you tried Hometop, but I saw they've got sugarsoap there, that should do the trick
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Or a similar product. Where can I find some? Weirdly enough wall cleaner is kind of hard to find here. I've used various stuff in the past but they either don't clean or are too harsh and paint comes off along with the fingerprints I'm trying to scrub out...

Hometop didn't have any. Forgive me if it's available at Lucky, I never go there so wouldn't know.
Was just in Lucky's in Young Mall, Chroy Changvar and they have about four "flavours" of Fantastik its about $4.80. They have another brand at about half that price.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

^ my asthma is almost nonexistent in the Kingdom, but these products all trigger an attack for me. On the upside, the local insect sprays don't bother me - or the local insects, apparently.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Cheers for the info. Might try vinegar but I think I'll just go and buy some. Vinegar works well on terracotta tiles though.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mr Curious »

1 GALLON OF WATER
1 CUP BOTTLED AMMONIA
1/2 CUP BOTTLED VINEGAR
1/4 CUP BAKING SODA.

Put the ammonia, vinegar and baking soda into the bucket of water. STIR TO MIX THOROUGHLY. Wash the walls from the bottom up for if you get drips on the uncleaned surface,(any other cleaner used will do the same) it will leave marks that are very difficult if not impossible to remove. (This caution was printed in the paper along with the recipe for the solution.)

you know you need a new batch when it stops working. In some cases might take some paint color, you'll see it in the water, but it won't show on the wall unless maybe you scrub hell outta one spot. Dunno how it would last bottled up and sitting.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Do you drink that neat, Mr Curious, or cut it with some juice or something?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Is it paint that is coming off or is it the colored plaster coating used on concrete buildings here. That Plaster coating will come off with a scrub with just water.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic