Help Wanted: Prototyping a cheap ebike for the people

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
stevenfalcons
Tourist
Cambodia

Help Wanted: Prototyping a cheap ebike for the people

Post by stevenfalcons »

Hi everyone,

I want to bring more ebike to the people. I am thinking about protyping a cheap ebike, mostly made with easily available local parts. I am also thinking about adding battery assisted package to old trailer or bicycle, promoting electric mobilities.

Is there anyone interested in this kind of project?

Any help is appreciated.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Help Wanted: Prototyping a cheap ebike for the people

Post by AndyKK »

Interesting project
May I ask is this on the hobbies type of scale or is this to go into a competitive market?
Something I saw recently
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Looks dangerous. A pothole will swallow a wheel or even the whole bike.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

For electric vehices you need reliable electricity, sorely lacking in Cambodia ATM. I do not think there are any locally available electronic or steel or aluminium so everything would have to be imported. I think your idea is probably a few years in advance of the capabilities of Cambodia, sadly
SEAdude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SEAdude »

I say make cheap [strong] mountain bicycles. Man has all the power he needs to propel himself forward. Also makes for better health and a cleaner ennvironment. But all in all, a good idea.
Deefer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Deefer »

Check out Ebike kits that can be easily fitted to a standard bicycle that are readily available on Ebay and Amazon. This will give an indication of what is currently on sale and whether it is possible to manufacture a cheaper alternative. Prices start around USD $250.

Good luck.

Deefer
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

This is my bike it is great for Cambodia and no license hassles for me at 70yo with my long expired CA license.
I am waiting for a motor for my wife's cargo type bike it will get a 48v 500w front hub brushless motor and my 48v 11A battery and an upgraded battery for mine 52v 17A should arrive next week.

I wouldn't suggest anyone get one of those little bikes the speeds you can get would make those very dubious. Those little things are going to kill someone and ruin it for the rest of us.

If anyone wants some more information or help with their project let me know. I like building these bikes as much as riding them. If anyone wants to pay the price I would sell my bike just so I can start something new. Currently 1000w rear hub brushless motor with the 48v 11A battery it will go up to 45kph for over 30k without any peddle assist just throttle but it also has 5 levels of peddle assist. Soon in about a week it will be upgraded to 52v 17A for higher speed maybe 50kph and longer range 45-50k per charge. I will go faster than is comfortable so I will program it to 35kph max speed which will keep my heavy thumb from going too fast and will extend my range.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

stevenfalcons wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:20 am Hi everyone,

I want to bring more ebike to the people. I am thinking about protyping a cheap ebike, mostly made with easily available local parts. I am also thinking about adding battery assisted package to old trailer or bicycle, promoting electric mobilities.

Is there anyone interested in this kind of project?

Any help is appreciated.
There are several ebike businesses in Thailand who are on facebook.
This is the company I use https://eunorau-ebike.com/. They are on the expensive side but they are one of the few who can and will ship batteries/kits to the KOW and the shipping is free.
Beware of ordering cheap chinese battery packs they use no name batteries that greatly under perform, don't last and can burn up/explode .
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I'm looking forward to the day when cyclo's have '' electro assisted '' peddle power, with a solar panel and battery. It must be bloody hard for some of those old village guys to get that extra boost of speed that is needed sometimes, especially when there is a big fat mama with all her groceries riding in it.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Duncan wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:36 am I'm looking forward to the day when cyclo's have '' electro assisted '' peddle power, with a solar panel and battery. It must be bloody hard for some of those old village guys to get that extra boost of speed that is needed sometimes, especially when there is a big fat mama with all her groceries riding in it.
That is already available people are doing just that but I would suggest just setting up a solar charging station at home instead of pulling a trailer with panels.
I would love to set up a modified cyclo. If anyone has a lead as to where to get one, cheap and needing resto OK, please let me know.
jimi hendrix
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic