Working for a Khmer business from an Expats POV

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Working for a Khmer business from an Expats POV

Post by The Add Jay »

Last edited by The Add Jay on Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.

Ordinem ad Imperium
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Re: Working for a Khmer business from an Expats POV

Post by Soi Dog »

200+ employees? Sounds like your boss has SOME ability and knowledge because he had what sounds like a reasonably successful business well before you arrived. Is also sounds like you didn't have much of a grasp on what exactly was expected of you when you took that job. Titles like "manager" by themselves mean nothing. You had no idea you were expected to "find a big foreign investor" as a major part of your duties? That is a serious failure of communication on both sides.

Don't take "being liked" by the suppliers as any indication of you doing a good job. Don't confuse your ability to small talk with the staff with them having respect for you. They are more likely to respect someone who gets the job done, gets more contracts for future work, and keeps them employed, even if they are less amiable.
logos
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by logos »

If your communication skills at work are reflected in this very confused account, the outcome seems perfectly logical.
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Post by The Add Jay »

Soi Dog wrote:200+ employees? Sounds like your boss has SOME ability and knowledge because he had what sounds like a reasonably successful business well before you arrived. Is also sounds like you didn't have much of a grasp on what exactly was expected of you when you took that job. Titles like "manager" by themselves mean nothing. You had no idea you were expected to "find a big foreign investor" as a major part of your duties? That is a serious failure of communication on both sides.

Don't take "being liked" by the suppliers as any indication of you doing a good job. Don't confuse your ability to small talk with the staff with them having respect for you. They are more likely to respect someone who gets the job done, gets more contracts for future work, and keeps them employed, even if they are less amiable.

70 in the office and about 100 plus labor workers. He mentioned finding investors when he realized no money was coming in for the month. Yeah hes successful but hes riding the construction boom and doesn't see whats coming down the line. As for getting the job done. You are correct about what exactly what the job was. Every time I started to actually do something my Director got bad...so naturally I would just go back into my office and wait for when ever someone had an issue.

The suppliers offered me a job but I turned them down cause it was sales.

I had a job previously who wanted me to find "foreign investor" I find this to be very funny. My friends got a kick out of it "ooo0o0o0o ahhhhh!! for million dollar project!! all for me!

It was an experience...but Im definitely never working for Khmer again unless the person I answer to is a westerner.
You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.

Ordinem ad Imperium
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic