Heineken fans going thirsty in Cambodia?

This is the part of the forum where we discuss Cambodia's nightlife! While most bars, nightclubs, pubs, beer gardens, and hostess bars are in Phnom Penh, we discuss the Cambodian nightlife across all of Cambodia, including Siem Reap, Kampot, and Sihanoukville. The main nightlife areas in Phnom Penh are on Street 136, Street 130, Street 110 and Street 51, but there are other party spots that aren't girlie bars where expats, tourists, and locals drink until the sun comes up. Feel free to post specials and promotions that relate to nighttime fun!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Heineken fans going thirsty in Cambodia?

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Who actually drinks Heineken in Cambodia anyway? I'm not much of a fan of Heinekin myself, so haven't really noticed whether it is a popular beer in Cambodia or not. Has anyone noticed a shortage?

Heineken fans going thirsty in Cambodia

Cambodia’s Heineken lovers are feeling a bit parched as a months-long dispute between the Dutch beer’s distributors dries up supply of the amber lager in the kingdom.

The Phnom Penh Post reported Monday that bars, hotels and supermarket all have seen their Heineken taps go dry with neither Cambodia Brewery Limited, the beer's exclusive distributor, and Attwood Import Export, its previous producer, unable to explain the shortage or predict when it will end.

Attwood, which had brewed, bottled and distributed Heineken under licence since 1994, saw its contract expire in December and distribution rights went to CBL, which has been progressively bought out by Heineken Asia-Pacific Export.

Atwood raised such a fuss over the loss of its lucrative contract in January that the Commerce Ministry ordered both firms to work out a deal. That hasn't happened.

CBL on Monday wasn't saying much on the matter, disclosing only that the shortage has been acute for about a month and that it was "working with the relevant stakeholders and the former distributor" to bring the beer back, the Post quoted the firm as saying.

So while Heineken markets itself as the beer that "refreshes the parts other beers cannot reach," it seems bars, hotels and restaurants have become truly unreachable.

The newspaper found an upscale-pub owner saying there was no stock anywhere, but he couldn't argue as he needed to maintain good relations with both Atwood -- which distributes Johnnie Walker whiskey and, soon, Corona beer -- and CBL, which distributes Anchor, Tiger, and ABC Stout.

However, he said, "they sure are killing their brand locally".

The Cambodia Hotel Association also reported total absences of stock at several restaurants while frustrated clerks at liquor wholesaler Supercheap in Phnom Penh said they're getting tired of being asked about the beer.
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/asia/57 ... n-cambodia

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/d ... s-shortage
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Heineken fans going thirsty in Cambodia?

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Never been a big fan either, but it's popular with locals who tend to see it as a premium import.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

I've never had a Heinie in CMB I don't think. Dutch Heineken is solid. Not my 1st choice, but I would never turn one down. The Thai stuff is worse than the all the mass produced brands over here. Heineken says that all their beers are brewed & taste exactly the same all over the world. They are lying muthafuckahs.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

OMG :fool: Two distributers are squabbling over this, so neither of them get anything and the customers switch to Tiger in disgust. That's so intelligent.

Not what I drink in Cambodia anyway. :plus1:
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Would never have guessed from your username.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

heineken is shit beer anyway,
rather have a can of Angkor, Klang, ABC anyday
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Klang used to make the best stout in the country, but they stopped production about 5 years ago.

I would rate it one of the best stouts I've ever had.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic