Bad Moon Rising

This is the part of the forum where we discuss Cambodia's nightlife! While most bars, nightclubs, pubs, beer gardens, and hostess bars are in Phnom Penh, we discuss the Cambodian nightlife across all of Cambodia, including Siem Reap, Kampot, and Sihanoukville. The main nightlife areas in Phnom Penh are on Street 136, Street 130, Street 110 and Street 51, but there are other party spots that aren't girlie bars where expats, tourists, and locals drink until the sun comes up. Feel free to post specials and promotions that relate to nighttime fun!
fidolio
Tourist
Sweden

Bad Moon Rising

Post by fidolio »

Bad Moon Rising
I saw the girl offering me a necklace. I saw the kids swimming with car-tires in the sea. Everyone everywhere smiling and the sun was shining. At Sharky´s, Martinis and Walkabout as well as other places you were met with respect and kindness, well in all of Cambodia you felt welcome. But then the virus came and the poison spread. Sandy beaches were changed to sewers and the inviting little restaurants became skyscrapers. The stately Independed resembled a joke surrounded by the investments. Soon this virus would infect the Cambodia people. The kindness faded away and now everything feels raw and gray. When being called out by the bar girls on 136 and paying 4.5 dollars for a lady drink of a simple juice and being told in incomprehensible English that you can go to your hotel room by yourself or find someone to join you for the world's highest rate 200 USD and yes idiots exist. It's a shame these days , bargirls who can't lower the price without losing face . That’s the virus's side effect of poisoning the Cambodian seal. To say Barang is tread as Donkys . The positive thing is that thousands of tourist, mostly from the West, have woken up from their dream in this former man’s / woman’s magical land and get to see other places on earth where this virus has not reached. What is the price when sold the soul to the devil ?
I know that others here will now complain about my post and of course about my possible misspellings, but there are far more of us who agree, so your complain is a fart in the wind.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Bad Moon Rising

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

The party was over well before COVID.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

$200?
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

How poetic.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Little_Vicious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Little_Vicious »

I'm not sure that your experiences with bar girls can really be generalized to the rest of Cambodia. I've been here since before Covid, and find the people here to (still) be quite wonderful.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

This is the third thread the OP has started bitching about the same thing.
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:22 pm The party was over well before COVID.
I agree, but a visitor's impression of which year 'the party was over' by is largely a function of which year they first arrived.
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

Little_Vicious wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:48 pm I'm not sure that your experiences with bar girls can really be generalized to the rest of Cambodia. I've been here since before Covid, and find the people here to (still) be quite wonderful.
Same. If anything, I actually found that COVID, while sadly destroying many people's livelihoods, had brought back a human element to this area that was being lost in transactional nature of interpersonal relationships made in tourist hubs, and I hope that this country eventually moves to higher economic activity than tourism if only to prevent it from losing its soul
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

The only reason a girl working in the bar would "raise" their normal price to $200 is because she doesn't want to be with that customer.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

The sad ballad of the priced-out sex tourist. I've heard the same shite here for nearly 25 years.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic