Five Man Brewery, Sihanoukvillle

This is the part of the forum where we discuss Cambodia's nightlife! While most bars, nightclubs, pubs, beer gardens, and hostess bars are in Phnom Penh, we discuss the Cambodian nightlife across all of Cambodia, including Siem Reap, Kampot, and Sihanoukville. The main nightlife areas in Phnom Penh are on Street 136, Street 130, Street 110 and Street 51, but there are other party spots that aren't girlie bars where expats, tourists, and locals drink until the sun comes up. Feel free to post specials and promotions that relate to nighttime fun!
OldNomad
Tourist

Five Man Brewery, Sihanoukvillle

Post by OldNomad »

I was taken to the microbrewery by a friend and enjoyed the beer so I went again ... 28/11/15 about 4 pm.

WHAT A DISGRACE.

I sat down inside as there are no tables outside like most places. There were plenty of young locals lounging about and finally one came for my order: I asked for one white beer please and the girl said ok, but there was no barman and she yelled to the back of the 'hangar'. Slowly a topless barBOY came out, (nothing like the professionals shown in a picture on one website feature).

Over the bar I saw him draw a BLACK beer, half froth and drink the froth, then top it up before handing the glass to the girl to serve me! Needless to say I refused it and walked out.

I can only assume that the owners are not serious about this place as there's a serious management issue there.

I suggest locals and travellers avoid this place

Paul
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Five Man Brewery, Sihanoukvillle

Post by ExPenhMan »

Oh my.
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

I heard this place gone downhill as has the beer. Good service to get repeat customers is unfortunately not top of the list in many local owned places in SHV! Or western owned now I think about it! The new Shivas shack was a disappointment but I think things will improve some time!
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

I was standing about 30 feet away from you on Hawaii beach while you were whinging about this yesterday. You were whinging about this to some Australian friends of mine who were there in a local bicycle club/riding group. I was out of earshot, but later at the bar my friends (from Australia) used the word "Whinging" when describing your tirade. They thought you were a bit of a Wanker. (their words, not mine.)

I've been going to 5 Man from the third day it was open. During the day is when they do their cleanup and maintenance from the night before.(nighttime is when they get their crowds) I can usually find someone to serve me, but do agree that sometimes they get focused on their cleanup job and don't notice one customer wandered in, but I usually can get their attention.

I've seen posts whinging about no head on the beer there and now too much head. Your getting a nice beer for $.50 or $.75., what would that cost you back where you come from? It just shows some people would bitch if they were hung with a new rope. (American saying.)

I had dinner and drinks at Chivas a few days ago. It was great, the service was faultless, its clean, the place has some real class and the beach setting was wonderful. The only downside is that its by a bunch of the usual trashy beach shacks who think playing music at warp12 will attract customers or that people like fly infested cheap beer/food joints.
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

Sailorman wrote:I was standing about 30 feet away from you on Hawaii beach while you were whinging about this yesterday. You were whinging about this to some Australian friends of mine who were there in a local bicycle club/riding group. I was out of earshot, but later at the bar my friends (from Australia) used the word "Whinging" when describing your tirade. They thought you were a bit of a Wanker. (their words, not mine.)

I've been going to 5 Man from the third day it was open. During the day is when they do their cleanup and maintenance from the night before.(nighttime is when they get their crowds) I can usually find someone to serve me, but do agree that sometimes they get focused on their cleanup job and don't notice one customer wandered in, but I usually can get their attention.

I've seen posts whinging about no head on the beer there and now too much head. Your getting a nice beer for $.50 or $.75., what would that cost you back where you come from? It just shows some people would bitch if they were hung with a new rope. (American saying.)

I had dinner and drinks at Chivas a few days ago. It was great, the service was faultless, its clean, the place has some real class and the beach setting was wonderful. The only downside is that its by a bunch of the usual trashy beach shacks who think playing music at warp12 will attract customers or that people like fly infested cheap beer/food joints.
Not me matey! I've not been to Hawaii beach for quite some time! I stand by what I said about 5 men, it used to be just ok, now the service is a disgrace. The beer I've not tried there for a few months because of the service!
As for Shivas shack, that was a personal issue which after having spoken to one of the owners should have been resolved. Not reflective on the whole of the business which I believe is good! I agree about the music nearby!
Mr Cynical
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Mr Cynical »

There was a great thread about this ''beer'' on another forum, relating to the bottles exploding. One of the contributors who actually seemed to know a great deal about the brewing process and what he was commenting about actually gave a very detailed reason as to why the beer tastes crap.
If it is priced at $0.10 cents or $2.50 a glass crap beer is still crap beer.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

it does not look well as a first post.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

I've brewed beer for over 15 years (also made wine), and I really like the "black" beer at 5 Man. As to the "white" beer its my thought that he is trying to slowly change the beer drinking habits of the Cambodians here. If your used to drinking the "Swill-From-The-Hill" and you get a good ale, you won't probably like the true-beer/ale full bodied flavor right off. All that matters to me is that I like it and could care less if anyone believes the cheap crap from the hill is beer. (Pseudo-piss-colored-beer-byproduct.

At Present I have a multi-berry cider and a Christmas-ale (dry hoped) in the fermenters.

No Fourkinnel its aimed at the OldNomad and his first post ever.
zizo
Tourist

Post by zizo »

Has anyone tried the Five Man branch near Tuol Sleng in Phnom Penh? Topless beer swillers or a class act?
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

I know the one near there but it's called Spark and Tawandang. Pity they not open until 6.30 and I think they want you to eat as well as just sup beer.

http://phnom-penh.leboost-cambodia.com/ ... y-744.html
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic