What the Khmer New Year Mean for us Mongers

This is the part of the forum where we discuss Cambodia's nightlife! While most bars, nightclubs, pubs, beer gardens, and hostess bars are in Phnom Penh, we discuss the Cambodian nightlife across all of Cambodia, including Siem Reap, Kampot, and Sihanoukville. The main nightlife areas in Phnom Penh are on Street 136, Street 130, Street 110 and Street 51, but there are other party spots that aren't girlie bars where expats, tourists, and locals drink until the sun comes up. Feel free to post specials and promotions that relate to nighttime fun!
BigDee
Expatriate
Australia

What the Khmer New Year Mean for us Mongers

Post by BigDee »

This will be my first Khmer New Year whilst living in PP, just wondering what the city is like during this time. Is it business as usual on Riverside and streets 104 to 136 or is it all shut down?
If bars (yep girly bars) are open, is it bottom of the barrel slim pickings or will bar owners with multiple bars congregate all to the one location?

What’s a Mongers alternative? Better off pissing off to Vietnam or Thai?

Asking for a friend lol :beer2:
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: What the Khmer New Year Mean for us Mongers

Post by phuketrichard »

1st it was when is the best season....
now its what khmer new years means...
if ur only in camboida for mongering, you picked the wrong country.

Try Angeles city in PI instead
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Phnom Penh will be deserted, and so will most bars.
BigDee
Expatriate
Australia

Post by BigDee »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:51 am 1st it was when is the best season....
now its what khmer new years means...
if ur only in camboida for mongering, you picked the wrong country.

Try Angeles city in PI instead
Haha the expected response mate.
Actually, no I am a business owner manufacturing in Kandal Province. It just so happens I prefer that area of the city for my weekly decent Westernish meal and entertainment. Am I a Monger? Yeah Sure, how’s that effect your time in PP other then a simple post on CEO?
Each to there own bro, have been married twice (Aus & China) nothing wrong with a little shopping around b4 I get placed back under the almighty thumb.
I have been living and manufacturing in China for more than 10 years, hence the reason for my question as I know only too well how dead CNY can be.
Simply put, what’s the situation like during the New Year in this area? If it’s like 50% operational then I am happy to travel for the Golden week.

I understand my lifestyle may not suit all members here, dose that make me not worthy of living in this fine country?
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

the few bars open have skeleton crews
more so than usual

what do you make?

monstra mihi bona!
BigDee
Expatriate
Australia

Post by BigDee »

Phnom Poon wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:44 am the few bars open have skeleton crews
more so than usual

what do you make?
thanks for the insight, have PM you
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

go to the Philippines where Catholics don't celebrate Khmer New Year...
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I remember one of my first visits over here, I caught a bus from Phnom Penh towards the Bavet Border Post, but I was not going to Vietnam. I was to get a moto dop to take me on the dirt roads near and along the Cambodian side of the border, on the far side of Svay Rieng. This was now early evening, dark, hot and dusty, plus lots of flies, After sometime riding pillion, now with a numb bum, arse ache. I asked the moto dop where all the pretty ladies where going, all dressed up walking from their country houses to the roadside now and again. His reply was "Bum bum" you want? OP get adventurous.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
BigDee
Expatriate
Australia

Post by BigDee »

Nice story Andy. Adventurous? Don’t worry mate I am well-traveled, I can assure you.

This wasn’t a post about going on an adventure or getting a sore Bum mate but thanks.
I was simply asking about a particular area (that I prefer to hang) during the new year in PP, eager for answers from people with experience previously during this time to share some insight.
I have no interest in traveling Cambodia during KNY as I am sure (a) there would be stuff all open and (b) the roads will be chockers.

If there are still some stragglers kicking around, ill most likely hang around PP. If not, I take off to a beach somewhere in Thailand or Vietnam for a couple of days. (one would think international travel would possibly be considered more Adventures lol)
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

BigDee wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:39 am This will be my first Khmer New Year whilst living in PP, just wondering what the city is like during this time. Is it business as usual on Riverside and streets 104 to 136 or is it all shut down?
If bars (yep girly bars) are open, is it bottom of the barrel slim pickings or will bar owners with multiple bars congregate all to the one location?

What’s a Mongers alternative? Better off pissing off to Vietnam or Thai?

Asking for a friend lol :beer2:
I personally couldnt believe how dead it was last year.people told me beforehand but i thought they was exaggerating. It was dead last year.and yes a few bars looked closed to me the ones open csnt of made much, noticed a distonct lack of girls there as well.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic