Keeping in touch with a bar girl after first visit to Cambodia

This is the part of the forum where we discuss Cambodia's nightlife! While most bars, nightclubs, pubs, beer gardens, and hostess bars are in Phnom Penh, we discuss the Cambodian nightlife across all of Cambodia, including Siem Reap, Kampot, and Sihanoukville. The main nightlife areas in Phnom Penh are on Street 136, Street 130, Street 110 and Street 51, but there are other party spots that aren't girlie bars where expats, tourists, and locals drink until the sun comes up. Feel free to post specials and promotions that relate to nighttime fun!
Randolphgb
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Randolphgb »

I had my first trip to Cambodia last week and was surprised at how nice the place was. I live in Bangkok, so Phnom Penh had a much smaller and more relaxed feel.

Anyway, normally after meeting a nice bar girl we exchange Line details. But this particular girl was young and probably new in the bar game as she had no Line, FB or smartphone.

Is this normal? Has anybody seen this before? I'm used to all Thai girls having Line and smartphones, and a lot of Khmer girls seemed to have them, too.

I have the girls number, which is actually her sister's phone and one of the old style handsets. Any advice on the best way to keep in touch with her while I wait for my next excursion in a few weeks?

I've developed quite a good BS detector through Thai bar girls (e.g. don't believe a word about anything they say) and this Khmer girl's story seemed to stack up with her actions.

Another point... I've found Thai girls to be masters at lying and have evolved to have brains to pull it off expertly. I may be wrong, but Khmer bar girls seemed to lack this guile and weren't really smart enough to hide their feelings with fake smiles and chatter. Does anybody else find that?
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: Keeping in touch with a bar girl after first visit to Cambodia

Post by that genius »

Randolphgb wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:42 pmI've developed quite a good BS detector
Bwahahahahaha, never heard that before.
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

Khmer bar girls can be just as expert as Thai bargirls at spinning you a story, maybe even better. Because they often appear more gentle and friendly, this can make their stories seem very convincing.
There is a whole spectrum of girls working in Phnom Penh bars, from naive young country girls to really seasoned hardened professionals. Most are relatively honest, some are not. But you have to realise that they are surviving day to day so they are very motivated by money. Your money.
You will just have to use your gut feel and judgement to decide if you are dealing with a gem of a girl, or one who is trying to expertly milk you.
Lesson number one: khmer bar girls are absolutely expert at making you feel guilty. Guilty for giving them only small amounts of money, or for not buying them the more expensive smartphone, or not buying the best gold bracelet or not helping their sick mother (or buffalo). Do NOT fall for this. Be thick skinned. They will pout and sulk and say they are going off with another guy who will help them more. Ignore it. They will come back.
If you want to buy her a phone so she can do Line, Messenger, Facebook, Viber etc, buy a generic brand for $100 or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

This.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

that genius wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:51 pm
Randolphgb wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:42 pmI've developed quite a good BS detector
Bwahahahahaha, never heard that before.
Look at the wise words from Chomsky in your own signature
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

I don't see anything in that quote advocating acting on naivete reinforced by pride. Do you?
dron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by dron »

There are a lot of women who don't have smart phones even still. Especially if they're new to the city. There are also many with top of the line Iphone X and such that have absolutely no idea how to use their phones for more than "play facebook".
"The revolution did more than legally create the United States; it transformed American society... Far from remaining monarchical, hierarchy-ridden subjects on the margin of civilization, Americans had become, almost overnight, the most liberal, the most democratic, the most commercial minded, and the most modern people in the world." - Gordon S. Wood
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Randolphgb wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:42 pm I had my first trip to Cambodia last week and was surprised at how nice the place was. I live in Bangkok, so Phnom Penh had a much smaller and more relaxed feel.

Anyway, normally after meeting a nice bar girl we exchange Line details. But this particular girl was young and probably new in the bar game as she had no Line, FB or smartphone.

Is this normal? Has anybody seen this before? I'm used to all Thai girls having Line and smartphones, and a lot of Khmer girls seemed to have them, too.

I have the girls number, which is actually her sister's phone and one of the old style handsets. Any advice on the best way to keep in touch with her while I wait for my next excursion in a few weeks?

I've developed quite a good BS detector through Thai bar girls (e.g. don't believe a word about anything they say) and this Khmer girl's story seemed to stack up with her actions.

Another point... I've found Thai girls to be masters at lying and have evolved to have brains to pull it off expertly. I may be wrong, but Khmer bar girls seemed to lack this guile and weren't really smart enough to hide their feelings with fake smiles and chatter. Does anybody else find that?
Buy her a phone, tightwad.
Randolphgb
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Randolphgb »

cptrelentless wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:28 pm
For services rendered, of course. Not until then.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Randolphgb wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:38 pm
cptrelentless wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:28 pm
For services rendered, of course. Not until then.
Unless you invest you're going to be stirring another man's porridge.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic