Bar 'lady drink' etiquette?

This is the part of the forum where we discuss Cambodia's nightlife! While most bars, nightclubs, pubs, beer gardens, and hostess bars are in Phnom Penh, we discuss the Cambodian nightlife across all of Cambodia, including Siem Reap, Kampot, and Sihanoukville. The main nightlife areas in Phnom Penh are on Street 136, Street 130, Street 110 and Street 51, but there are other party spots that aren't girlie bars where expats, tourists, and locals drink until the sun comes up. Feel free to post specials and promotions that relate to nighttime fun!
Jimmy Crow
Expatriate
United States of America

Bar 'lady drink' etiquette?

Post by Jimmy Crow »

i like drinking in bars and inevitably some of those bars will be girly bars.
I'm a fairly generous bloke,maybe a bit of a pushover and certainly can have a lack of judgement when the beers are necked.
This all leads to regular nights out where i have a bar bill for 3000 baht and i think to myself "I've only had 6 Leo's? How did this happen?":shock1:

I've discussed this with a friend who travels to Thailand regularly and he says if I buy a girl a drink,I should ask for 'bar price'.
Is this accepted? Seems to me the girl would pretty pissed off if shes not making any money from the drink.
This same guy told me when he stayed in Chiang Mai for 3 months he would have a bottle of whiskey he bought from 7-11 kept behind the bar.So he'd go and drink from that every night.
I don't know if this is actually true and i would imagine he'd be extremely unpopular with the bar owner and staff.

I've also noticed some ex-pats that live in Chiang Mai and are regulars in some of the bars i frequent rarely buy the girls a drink(understandable,as it would be a severe drain on resources to do so if you're out drinking almost every night)
I suppose ex-pats have to watch the purse strings more because they are living a 'normal' day to day life in Thailand,whereas holidaymakers like myself are there for a good time and blowing a load of money every night is almost expected.:smile:

So,what is the best way of approaching the 'lady drink' situation without offending anyone or looking like a cheapskate?
I was thinking perhaps i could make it clear in the bars that i would buy no more than 1 lady drink for each bar i visit(sometimes i'll spend the whole night in 1 bar so would be a fairly cheap night :smile: )
Buying just 1 lady drink in each bar i would be saving quite a lot of money compared to my last trip.

On a side note,the first time i went to Chiang Mai i had no idea the 'lady drink' was a thing.I thought i was buying as drink for a girl to be sociable,as i would in the US,(i really should have researched Thai culture a little more before arriving :sad:)
It was only when i got home and did a little internet research that i discovered the concept of the 'Lady Drink'
No wonder i spent $6000 in 3 weeks :sad:
Everyone is equal. Everyone has a place. No one is written off, because there is worth and goodness in every life... That is the Republican ideal. And if we won't defend it, who will?
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Bar 'lady drink' etiquette?

Post by Arget »

:facepalm:
:crazy: :fool: :jerk: thumbdown :BangHead:
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Ye these threads are boring my brozniak from another wozniak

should stick to writing about negros. 1/5 wouldn't read again
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

Bar girls are blood suckers, the more you give the more they want.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Jimmy Crow wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:18 pm
It was only when i got home and did a little internet research that i discovered the concept of the 'Lady Drink'

shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

:OD: :beer2: :beer: O:-) :evil5:

:BangHead:
Last edited by shnoukieBRO on Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Jim Crow laws were state and local laws that enforced racial segregation in the Southern United States. Enacted by white Democratic-dominated state legislatures in the late 19th century after the Reconstruction period, these laws continued to be enforced until 1965.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

have not brought a bar girl a drink in bars in YEARS
WHY, u think she will like u more??
Nope,
but she will call u a cheap charlie if u dont, but who cares??

U buy a girl a lady drink and she gets a % of the price. If she works in the bar her drink will Always be more than urs for exactly the same drink.

NOTE;
if ur interested in the girl to take home, you need show her u like her by spending $$ on her.
BUT ALWAYS ask before u buy that first drink if she goes off with customers. Otherwise after buying 3-4 drinks and u ask to pay her bar fine she tells you, " i dont go with customer, i only drink with them"

Its like getting a preNup

Am sure Jamie feels different but.....
He wants them all to like him LOL
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Albror »

What about buying 1-2 and then taking her home instead of spending all that money on drinks?

Get drunk somewhere else and go buy a girl a drink when its time to get things done.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

I love it, the guy claims to be a millionaire from Texas, who's son is marrying a ladyboy. He also is interested in buying a lady bar in Cambodia and doesnt like "negroes" teaching his white children. Unless his child is mildly retarded if he is of marrying age he shouldn t need an english teacher, if $6000 in 3 weeks seems like an amount he needs to discuss I suspect he is far less than a millionaire and if you uses the term "bloke" I doubt he is Texan.

I bet he is 54, living at his mother's has three failed marriages, impotent and has never been more than 50 km from his hometown of Douchebag, Derbyshire.
He uses the name jimmy crow because walter mitty was already taken and troll is too obvious.

as to Bar lady drink etiquette the answer is yes, you would save a lot of money if you only bought one drink. You would save more if you stayed home and you wuld have some if you worked insead of trolled.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic