What is a decent allowance for a Khmer girlfriend?

This is the part of the forum where we discuss Cambodia's nightlife! While most bars, nightclubs, pubs, beer gardens, and hostess bars are in Phnom Penh, we discuss the Cambodian nightlife across all of Cambodia, including Siem Reap, Kampot, and Sihanoukville. The main nightlife areas in Phnom Penh are on Street 136, Street 130, Street 110 and Street 51, but there are other party spots that aren't girlie bars where expats, tourists, and locals drink until the sun comes up. Feel free to post specials and promotions that relate to nighttime fun!
michael.stewart1
Expatriate
Russia

What is a decent allowance for a Khmer girlfriend?

Post by michael.stewart1 »

After 3 years of dating a Khmer woman I want to determine what people pay their girlfriends for allowances. I had set my ex's allowance at 25% of my income or 300USd whichever was higher. I am curious if this was a fair rate for a Khmer girlfriend.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: What is a decent allowance for a Khmer girlfriend?

Post by pczz »

michael.stewart1 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:40 am After 3 years of dating a Khmer woman I want to determine what people pay their girlfriends for allowances. I had set my ex's allowance at 25% of my income or 300USd whichever was higher. I am curious if this was a fair rate for a Khmer girlfriend.
There is no decent allowance. If she is money orinted and she can earn $100 a week freelancing behind tyour back she will.
If she is not focussed on money then she will not necessarlit expect much more than bed and board and you buying her clothes etc
If she has a large family then they will push herto get more.
I used to give y "gf" $250 6 years ago and she still could not resist popping off to earn a few dollars more when I wasnt looking.
I had a friend who gave his $1000 a month and she did the same.
Another friend gave his $100 a month for mum and made her work in a khmer restaurant to earn her money and she was a faithful as a pet labrador.
Its not the amount, its the girl
finish_money
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by finish_money »

pczz wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:54 amIts not the amount, its the girl
Yeah imagine the roles were reversed and someone came along and doubled your salary, or even raised it by 50%. If you’re still not happy then you’re probably a gold digger right?
"You can't teach the beast. It's either in you or it isn't. You can't just go to the store and buy a six-pack of beast. It don't work like that." — Kevin Garnett
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

Give her $100 this month she will want $200 next month trust me mate they will always want more, my advice is "treat em mean, keep em keen!"
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Dont give her an allowance, have her go out and get a real job
she will make her own money and raise her self worth.

Than you cover all expenses ( rent, food, small bit of shopping,dead buffalo, etc)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
orussey98
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by orussey98 »

do you live with her? She doesn't need allowance you pay for everything already, it's way enough.

you don't live with her? 0$.If you pay you are just one of her boyfriends.

Unless you have kids with her, you don't have to give her allowance.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Agree with all the cheap Charlies above. Don’t make her a dependent of You.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

finish_money wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:08 am
pczz wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:54 amIts not the amount, its the girl
Yeah imagine the roles were reversed and someone came along and doubled your salary, or even raised it by 50%. If you’re still not happy then you’re probably a gold digger right?
I don't believ i suggested any criticism of the girls at all. Anyoenwho thinks they canbuy love is going to be diappointed whichever sex they are.
Anyone who thinks they can buy exclusive rights to someone else with money is equally likely to learn a harsh lesson.
The fact is in poor countries sex is often sold. Who is to blame, the girls(or boys,or ladyboys) or the customers who are willing to pay for a "relationship"
And is it really any different in the west? Are girls attracted o men with sports cars more than men with old bangers? Do girls deliberatley go to clubs frequented by wealthy men to try and get a wealthy boyfriend? Answer, as anywhere, is some doand some dont. Some girls will have sex with you for $10 because they are desperate for money to pay for medicine for their mum, some want $100 because they are desperate for a new handbag, and some will not sell sex at any price. Some men will not go near girls with children. While gold diggers exist in all sexes and all countries i think most people have an acceptable set of parameters when they look for a partner. whether its financial stability or body type or health or a mix of all. Gold diggers are no worse than people who only date blondes or girls with big breast. They are just applying their preference whether its financial or other
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

I pay them to leave after 5 minutes.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Decent allowance? It sounds like you need to have a serious discussion with your Khmer better half first. And then both come up with a mutual amount needed. What kind of girlfriend is she? Is she a rental, or in it for the long term? Or one that will move with you to Suriname in the middle of a civil war? Does she work? Does she even need or want ‘support’? Or does she even have a job now?

For example, my missus is preparing for the eventual big trip across the ocean. She is devoting all her efforts to mastering English, staying fit, her friends, the future embassy interview, and adjusting to a different life. We discuss how much she spends on everything. I am not risking her life getting coronavirus in a hospital somewhere, so I pay for it all. Plus help with family emergencies. It’s the reason why I don’t work in the Kingdom of Wonder. She supports me 24/7, no matter what, no matter where, no matter how, no matter when. I am her priority.

I know it’s a bit extreme, but it all boils down to a long serious talk with your Khmer girlfriend. Not just her allowance, but your allowance as well.

Best of luck and happiness.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic