Nigerian ringleader of online $60m fraud network arrested.

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Nigerian ringleader of online $60m fraud network arrested.

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

A Nigerian man accused of being the ringleader of an online fraud network that scammed more than $60m (£45m) from companies around the world has been arrested after months of investigation, Interpol said.

The 40-year-old, known only as Mike, was arrested in June along with a 38-year-old in the Nigerian oil capital of Port Harcourt.

He is accused of scamming hundreds of victims and running a network of at least 40 people working from Nigeria, Malaysia and South Africa.

The man is also said to have money-laundering contacts in China, Europe and the US, who provided bank account details for the illicit cash flow.

“In one case, a target was conned into paying out $15.4m,” Interpol said. “The network compromised email accounts of small to medium businesses around the world including Australia, Canada, India, Malaysia, Romania, South Africa, Thailand and the United States.”

The scams included a supplier’s email being compromised and fake messages sent to a buyer with instructions for payment to a bank account under the network’s control, or the email account of a high-level executive being taken over and a request for a wire transfer sent to an employee responsible for handling such requests...

“Following his arrest in Port Harcourt in southern Nigeria, a forensic examination of devices seized by the EFCC showed he [the suspect] had been involved in a range of criminal activities, including business email compromise and romance scams,” Interpol said.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... k-nigerian
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Nigerian ringleader of online $60m fraud network arrested.

Post by Username Taken »

So, is this guy the Prince that wants to share his inheritance with me?
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

He was warming up for the big job, scamming my assets.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

I'm to stupid to be a criminal. Horrible liar. And I'm lazy.
But I think after the first 10 mil that you are in it for the game. Maybe the $ becomes secondary.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Username Taken wrote:So, is this guy the Prince that wants to share his inheritance with me?
Yep. And you didn't help the poor guy; Image

Lucky there are better people out there:
ImageImageImage
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic