RIP Michael Parkinson

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

RIP Michael Parkinson

Post by Username Taken »

Sir Michael Parkinson has died aged 88.

armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: RIP Michael Parkinson

Post by armchairlawyer »

When Michael Parkinson was 19, he was a good enough batsman to keep the young Geoffrey Boycott out of the Barnsley cricket team. As a left-handed opener he made a century in a league match against Harrogate and a fifty in the next game, ensuring that England’s future batting hero was left to fume in the second XI while Parkinson took his place and dreamt of sporting glory.

Long after, he was still citing his brief summer of cricketing supremacy as his proudest achievement and giving every impression that he would have happily swapped his television career to have joined Boycott in the England team. Instead, a disastrous trial with Yorkshire put paid to his ambitions when his stumps were repeatedly shattered by Fred Trueman.

He attended the trial with Dickie Bird, later the international umpire, who recalled his best friend’s rejection. “What does tha’ mate, Parkinson, do?” Arthur Mitchell, the Yorkshire coach, asked Bird. “He works on the local newspaper,” Bird replied. “I’ve some advice for him,” said Mitchell. “Tell him to stick to journalism.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/mich ... -mph6r2ww5
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

armchairlawyer wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:25 pm When Michael Parkinson was 19, he was a good enough batsman to keep the young Geoffrey Boycott out of the Barnsley cricket team. As a left-handed opener he made a century in a league match against Harrogate and a fifty in the next game, ensuring that England’s future batting hero was left to fume in the second XI while Parkinson took his place and dreamt of sporting glory.

Long after, he was still citing his brief summer of cricketing supremacy as his proudest achievement and giving every impression that he would have happily swapped his television career to have joined Boycott in the England team. Instead, a disastrous trial with Yorkshire put paid to his ambitions when his stumps were repeatedly shattered by Fred Trueman.

He attended the trial with Dickie Bird, later the international umpire, who recalled his best friend’s rejection. “What does tha’ mate, Parkinson, do?” Arthur Mitchell, the Yorkshire coach, asked Bird. “He works on the local newspaper,” Bird replied. “I’ve some advice for him,” said Mitchell. “Tell him to stick to journalism.”

Wouldn't Boycott have been a 12 or 13 year old then?
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

I’m not “ into “ reading about dead australiens ,
Let me guess , the inventor of Parkinson’s ( thanx auto correct ) disease ?
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

pissontheroof wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:18 pm I’m not “ into “ reading about dead australiens ,
He was a pom, not a convict! :hattip:
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:52 pm
pissontheroof wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:18 pm I’m not “ into “ reading about dead australiens ,
What’s the dif 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏽🤷🏽‍♀️🥱?
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:52 pm
The previous correspondent has dementia, me thunks.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

pissontheroof wrote:I’m not “ into “ reading about dead australiens ,
Unless he’s related to James Parkinson, the apothecary who published symptoms of the disease in 1817, it’s not him.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

newkidontheblock wrote:
pissontheroof wrote:I’m not “ into “ reading about dead australiens ,
Unless he’s related to James Parkinson, the apothecary who published symptoms of the disease in 1817, it’s not him.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor ... 's_disease
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:42 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:25 pm When Michael Parkinson was 19, he was a good enough batsman to keep the young Geoffrey Boycott out of the Barnsley cricket team. As a left-handed opener he made a century in a league match against Harrogate and a fifty in the next game, ensuring that England’s future batting hero was left to fume in the second XI while Parkinson took his place and dreamt of sporting glory.

Wouldn't Boycott have been a 12 or 13 year old then?
Correct, so it's hardly a surprise.

Anyway, I can beat that. When I was 16, I batted higher in the order than Nasser Hussain in the Ilford Cricket Club under 16 team. I was at No.6 and he was at 8 or 9. At the time he was only a 5ft 0 inch 15-year-old leg spinner that couldn't be bothered about batting as his bowling was prodigious.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic