The 'Glasgow Effect'

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

The 'Glasgow Effect'

Post by wackyjacky »

"Glasgow effect
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow_effect
The Glasgow effect refers to the unexplained poor health and low life expectancy of Glaswegians compared to the rest of the United Kingdom and Europe. The hypothesis among epidemiologists is that poverty alone does not appear to account for the disparity.[1] Equally deprived former industrial cities of the UK such as Birmingham, Liverpool and Manchester that have faced similar effects of de-industrialisation have higher life expectancies, and the wealthiest ten percent of the Glasgow population have a lower life expectancy than the same group in other cities.[2]

Various hypotheses have been proposed to account for the effect, including vitamin D deficiency, cold winters, higher levels of poverty than the figures suggest, high levels of stress, and a culture of alienation and pessimism.[3]
UKJ
Expatriate

Re: The 'Glasgow Effect'

Post by UKJ »

wackyjacky wrote:"Glasgow effect
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow_effect
The Glasgow effect refers to the unexplained poor health and low life expectancy of Glaswegians compared to the rest of the United Kingdom and Europe. The hypothesis among epidemiologists is that poverty alone does not appear to account for the disparity.[1] Equally deprived former industrial cities of the UK such as Birmingham, Liverpool and Manchester that have faced similar effects of de-industrialisation have higher life expectancies, and the wealthiest ten percent of the Glasgow population have a lower life expectancy than the same group in other cities.[2]

Various hypotheses have been proposed to account for the effect, including vitamin D deficiency, cold winters, higher levels of poverty than the figures suggest, high levels of stress, and a culture of alienation and pessimism.[3]

I wonder how the alcohol study would fare in Glasgow, if they could find any non drinkers!
It's a very negative, stressful, unfriendly and violent place. I remember standing at Glasgow airport after a few months in Asia, and all you could hear people do was moan, and say who they were going to assault if things didn't go smoothly, from the customs people to taxi drivers. I had never really noticed it before, as I had always lived amongst it. Most of the small talk is negative. Fuck Lance Whitmore, get me out of Glasgow! :please:
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Spent a night drinking with a Frenchman and a Glaswegian. The French guy was having problems with the Glasgow accent and asked me to translate.
Made me realise that I couldn't understand a word he was saying, even though I was laughing at all his jokes. :beer: :ROFL: :friends:
The state we were in, it didn't matter much.(And the jokes probably weren't so funny - or maybe they weren't even jokes and I was just laughing inanely.)
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

I don't buy the cold winter scenario, I grew up living not far out of Glasgow and then up in the highlands and it was a lot colder up there but It was a much healthier environment to live in than inner city. Poverty, historically bad diet coming from poverty I think heart disease is higher than average, higher alcohol consumption and smoking rates compared to the rest of the UK, drugs and violence. As Frankie Boyle joked, Glasgow could become a world renowned centre for euthenasia , drive people through the worst parts of town and there'd be no waiting lists.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

When I was there briefly a million years ago, it struck me as damp, dark, depressing, and extremely polluted. I thought that now the smoke is gone (as are the factories) & the town is fun & all gussied up.
UKJ
Expatriate

Post by UKJ »

wackyjacky wrote:When I was there briefly a million years ago, it struck me as damp, dark, depressing, and extremely polluted. I thought that now the smoke is gone (as are the factories) & the town is fun & all gussied up.
No. Your first impression was correct, or even a bit flattering :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic