"Jao" gets beaten in Bali

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
ot mien kampf
Expatriate

"Jao" gets beaten in Bali

Post by ot mien kampf »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rs-by.html
Shocking footage has emerged of a group of passers-by bashing one of the two thieves who allegedly stole a tourist's handbag in Bali, Indonesia.

The incident, which appears to be a Bali-style punishment occurred on Monday in beachside town Padang Padang, Uluwatu on the south-western tip of Bali.

Balinese local Luigi Balifu, who captured the footage, said he saw a French girl crying in the middle of the street who said she just had her handbag snatched by two young boys with their scooter.
Looks like the Khmer pastime is catching on elsewhere.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: "Jao" gets beaten in Bali

Post by nemo »

I have seen more than one fatal beating when jaos were caught in Jakarta on my posting there 4 decades ago.
Quite an ugly thing to watch before lunch .A triple pink gin fixes that rapidly.
Of course, in that time we had no camera ready to hand which is disappointing in retrospect.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Likewise, thieves, real or alleged, were quickly beaten to death when caught in Kenya when I lived there. They also picked up the tration of "necklacing" from their South African brothers.....
ot mien kampf
Expatriate

Post by ot mien kampf »

Eventually you'll see it if you stay long enough in the 3rd world.

When I was in the Philippine provinces about 15 years ago I stayed in the cheap side of town overlooking a small river, there were a few dingy guesthouses on one side and the unique kind of Filipino stilt shanty town on the other. There was a big kerfuffle one evening and a young man was stripped him naked and thrown about 10 feet off a bridge into the river by a mob who looked like locals, lots of laughing kids and men who looked too fat to be a rival gang. They threw rocks at him until he reached the other side and ran away. I assume it was mob justice.

This was in the center, in the South there were literal death squads targeting "criminals" officially as young as 14, but they'd regularly find the bodies of younger beggars in ditches outside the city.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davao_death_squads

The brutality in Africa is something else again, petty thieves seem to get the worst imaginable punishments.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic