Asia's Toughest Jobs: The toil of a smiling jeepney driver

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

For when you think that your job stinks, or that life is tough ...

Philippines - 5 August 2017
Driving a jeepney, a bus-like vehicle, on Manila’s roads day after day is a physical and mental challenge. Jack Board meets a man who, despite the long hours, low pay and time away from home, keeps smiling for the sake of his family.
Despite being an essential cog in the movement of the city, plying these streets in the heavy, polluting jeepneys is a largely thankless job. The 1,000 pesos (US$20) he takes home each day after working up to 20 hours reflect just that.

“My schedule every day is start at 4am and finish at 11pm. I sleep for four hours and then start work again at 4am. That’s how it goes on a day-to-day basis,” Refil said.

“I have no substitute driver for my shift so I can only go home to my family on Fridays. I have to work.

“There are times when I can’t see them because sometimes I have to fix my jeepney, even on Fridays. It’s really a sacrifice. I miss my daughter. I don’t see her often. I just think that I need to save up for her future,” he added...

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asi ... er-9024698