For what is legal to buy, sell & transport in Thailand, can get you the death sentence in Singapore

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

For what is legal to buy, sell & transport in Thailand, can get you the death sentence in Singapore

Post by phuketrichard »

A Singaporean man is scheduled to be hanged next week for conspiring to smuggle a kilogram of cannabis, rights groups said, in the city-state's first execution in six months. :please: he never even touched the drugs!!!!

Several activists involved in the anti-death penalty movement in Singapore announced this afternoon that the family of Tangaraju Suppiah — a Singaporean man of Tamil descent who was found guilty of conspiracy to traffic approximately 1kg of cannabis in 2017 — has been notified that he will be executed on next Wednesday (April 26)

Tangaraju was charged and convicted of conspiracy to traffic drugs because the court found that he was the owner of the two phone numbers contacted by Mogan Valo, the person police found in possession of 1017.9g marijuana.

Tangaraju never touched the drugs he is scheduled to be hanged for next week. But prosecutors argued that he had been the intended recipient of the drugs, which Tangaraju denied. You can read the court’s full decision in that case here.
Like most criminal suspects in Singapore, he was interrogated by the police without the presence of a lawyer and the prosecution relied on a statement he gave to an inspector, without counsel, to get their conviction.

Although he did not have the representation of a lawyer, Tangaraju filed a criminal motion by himself in December seeking to have his conviction reviewed due to a change in the law regarding prosecutors’ disclosure of material witness statements to the defence. His motion was denied (you can read the full judgment here).

https://coconuts.co/singapore/news/sing ... activists/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: For what is legal to buy, sell & transport in Thailand, can get you the death sentence in Singapore

Post by Freightdog »

There is very roughly a 50/50 split in death penalty states in the USA. A crime in one state punishable by imprisonment might carry the death penalty over the state line.
Neighbouring states have differing laws on firearms, especially concealed carry. What is perfectly legal in one state may be illegal across the state line.
That is within the same country.

Thailand and Singapore don’t even share a border, and are separate countries. It’s largely irrelevant.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Re: For what is legal to buy, sell & transport in Thailand, can get you the death sentence in Singapore

Post by truffledog »

Killing a human beeing for 1kg of weed is not right.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

I assume weed is very expensive in Singapore, much more so than in Thailand. He was no doubt happy enough to enjoy the healthy profit he would have made if he didn't get caught.

I don't agree with the death penalty for selling weed - hell, I don't think it should be illegal anywhere - but that's the law there. Knowing that, if you still decide to risk it and you get caught you really can't complain that it's not fair, or that it's too harsh. That's the risk you chose to take.
schlarry
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by schlarry »

For drug offences, do they hang 'em high?
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Death penalty in Singapore

Post by Chuck Borris »

Singaporean man to be hanged for trafficking 1 kg cannabis

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/s ... 2023-04-23

What would happen if I"d carry 5 kg of chewing gum to Singapore? Life sentence? :roll:
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
violet
Expatriate

Re: Death penalty in Singapore

Post by violet »

Why is this newsworthy? Have you only now learned of death sentences in Singapore? They happen often enough.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

violet wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:02 am Why is this newsworthy? Have you only now learned of death sentences in Singapore? They happen often enough.
I apologise. I hadn’t realised he was only ‘the intended recipient’. That is newsworthy.
What’s not news is that I’m a douche sometimes
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

violet wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:24 am
violet wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:02 am Why is this newsworthy? Have you only now learned of death sentences in Singapore? They happen often enough.
I apologise. I hadn’t realised he was only ‘the intended recipient’. That is newsworthy.
What’s not news is that I’m a douche sometimes
I'd say it's newsworthy in that it's a cautionary story. Anyone thinking about smuggling weed into Singapore, or receiving smuggled weed intending to sell it, or probably even being in possession of a joint or two for personal use should know that the consequences will be harsh if you're caught.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic