Almost half of US families can't afford basics like rent and food

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
kocdim
Expatriate
Fiji

Almost half of US families can't afford basics like rent and food

Post by kocdim »

The economy may be chugging along, but many Americans are still struggling to afford a basic middle class life.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/17/news/ec ... index.html
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Almost half of US families can't afford basics like rent and food

Post by Yobbo »

Not a problem dude a well-armed populace is the best defense against tyranny.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Yobbo wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 8:29 pm Not a problem dude a well-armed populace is the best defense against tyranny.
kptic
Expatriate
Greece

Post by kptic »

I don't believe this for a minute. I want to know how many of those who could "not afford rent and food" are really trying to live within their means. You can rent a trailer in most parts of the US for next to nothing, and if your income is below a certain level you qualify for food stamps, medicaid and section 8 housing, which means you effectively don't pay for it.

Americans are just too entitled. They don't want to live in a trailer in a less than desirable area, so they choose to try and live beyond their means in a 2 bedroom unit in a desirable area. They spend $100 a month on 2 cell phone lines, but come up short for groceries. They smoke cigarettes and drink malt liquor, but, again, come up short for groceries. Not to mention how much they (probably) spend on drugs. In any urban poor environment in the US, you will see more expensive Timberland boots and Hilfiger jeans than you will see in Malibu.

If 45% if the population is overweight, they are not starving. They are choosing to spend their money poorly on fast food and junk food instead of canned goods. They are choosing to spend 10k on spinning rims for their Cadillac instead of driving an old VW. It largely comes down to poor decisions.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

yeah i see them all over the streets daily living in their shopping trolleys.
what nonsense.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

kptic wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 12:42 am I don't believe this for a minute. I want to know how many of those who could "not afford rent and food" are really trying to live within their means. You can rent a trailer in most parts of the US for next to nothing, and if your income is below a certain level you qualify for food stamps, medicaid and section 8 housing, which means you effectively don't pay for it.

Americans are just too entitled. They don't want to live in a trailer in a less than desirable area, so they choose to try and live beyond their means in a 2 bedroom unit in a desirable area. They spend $100 a month on 2 cell phone lines, but come up short for groceries. They smoke cigarettes and drink malt liquor, but, again, come up short for groceries. Not to mention how much they (probably) spend on drugs. In any urban poor environment in the US, you will see more expensive Timberland boots and Hilfiger jeans than you will see in Malibu.

If 45% if the population is overweight, they are not starving. They are choosing to spend their money poorly on fast food and junk food instead of canned goods. They are choosing to spend 10k on spinning rims for their Cadillac instead of driving an old VW. It largely comes down to poor decisions.
Government subsidies on corn products is why poor Americans are fat. You have some really cheap food, but it's all bleached chickens, hormone beef and HFCS twinkies. Those fucking cheeps things and your horrible dog chocolate, that abortion you call cheese. I took the train from N'Orlins to the Canadian border and there were loads of people living in tin shacks at the side of the railway. I'm pretty sure that places where everyone lives in double-wides lack executive jobs. Yeah, you can live cheaply in the deserts of New Mexico but what's you commute to work like? Also you cell phones are all ridiculously expensive, who the fuck pays to receive texts? I worked for Verizon and they banned us using SMS alerts.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

frank lee bent wrote:yeah i see them all over the streets daily living in their shopping trolleys.
what nonsense.
I have to respectfully disagree.

Poverty level, middle class incomes are completely separate from affordable housing.

These shopping trolley people are homeless, either because of lack of affordable housing or mental issues.

Why are can’t they afford to live in a home? Because of a restriction in supply (ie, onerous construction rules) and demand (don’t think the mainland Chinese just buy up Sihanoukville).

Those with mental health issues are not in the right frame of mind to connect with the social safety nets. Some live completely in their own plane of reality. Plus the government can’t force them to help themselves.

It’s a very complicated problem.
Gardiguy
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Gardiguy »

What about the tent cities. There is an alarming amount of them in the USA. The self proclaimed greatest nation in the world has these tent cities that are basically refugee camps.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... ted_States
newkidontheblock wrote:
frank lee bent wrote:yeah i see them all over the streets daily living in their shopping trolleys.
what nonsense.
I have to respectfully disagree.

Poverty level, middle class incomes are completely separate from affordable housing.

These shopping trolley people are homeless, either because of lack of affordable housing or mental issues.

Why are can’t they afford to live in a home? Because of a restriction in supply (ie, onerous construction rules) and demand (don’t think the mainland Chinese just buy up Sihanoukville).

Those with mental health issues are not in the right frame of mind to connect with the social safety nets. Some live completely in their own plane of reality. Plus the government can’t force them to help themselves.

It’s a very complicated problem.
Jimmy Crow
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jimmy Crow »

kptic wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 12:42 am I don't believe this for a minute. I want to know how many of those who could "not afford rent and food" are really trying to live within their means. You can rent a trailer in most parts of the US for next to nothing, and if your income is below a certain level you qualify for food stamps, medicaid and section 8 housing, which means you effectively don't pay for it.

“They are choosing to spend 10k on spinning rims for their Cadillac instead of driving an old VW. It largely comes down to poor decisions.”

Sound like your aiming this “they” at African Americans!
Everyone is equal. Everyone has a place. No one is written off, because there is worth and goodness in every life... That is the Republican ideal. And if we won't defend it, who will?
Seasquatch
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Seasquatch »

I call bs too, you should see walmart at the beginning of the month, shopping carts of steaks and pork stacked up, the food stamp and general welfare fraud is crazy.
------
aka Yankee Gringo Gaijin aka Seppy Yank
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic