NSA Spying Software Hidden In Most Hard Drives

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

NSA Spying Software Hidden In Most Hard Drives

Post by wackyjacky »

(Reuters) - "The U.S. National Security Agency has figured out how to hide spying software deep within hard drives made by Western Digital, Seagate, Toshiba and other top manufacturers, giving the agency the means to eavesdrop on the majority of the world's computers, according to cyber researchers and former operatives.
http://in.reuters.com/article/2015/02/1 ... R320150216
That long-sought and closely guarded ability was part of a cluster of spying programs discovered by Kaspersky Lab, the Moscow-based security software maker that has exposed a series of Western cyberespionage operations.

Kaspersky said it found personal computers in 30 countries infected with one or more of the spying programs, with the most infections seen in Iran, followed by Russia, Pakistan, Afghanistan, China, Mali, Syria, Yemen and Algeria. The targets included government and military institutions, telecommunication companies, banks, energy companies, nuclear researchers, media, and Islamic activists, Kaspersky said."
walkjivefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: NSA Spying Software Hidden In Most Hard Drives

Post by walkjivefly »

Now that's a sneaky exploit. Fortunately not one most of us are likely to be targeted by for a while at least.

Taking issue with the thread title, they don't seem to be saying drives are shipping with the compromised firmware. Rather it's getting on to machines through the usual vectors. The anti-virus companies are probably working on detecting and preventing infection. I wonder how long until they add firmware scanning to their arsenal? That would require close cooperation with the drive and controller manufacturers.

Short term dodge (as usual): don't use Windoze or Mac.

It's probably only a matter of time until drives do ship with compromised firmware. At which point you'd better be using damn good software encryption if you want to keep stuff private. Anyone already using drives with built-in hardware encryption really ought to rethink that decision.

More worries for the tin-foil hat brigade!

OT but good avatar from the OP.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

I seem to recall reading/hearing about a Chinese company that was sending out hardware with eavesdropping stuff on it last year.... Maybe a well-known brand, I forget..
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

I know the US gov won't buy Huawei or stuff w/certain Huawei parts inside. You might be thinking of them. Them & Xiaomi make some rocking phones though.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

yeah, lenovo was first- then huawei.
rumour has it that even electric kettles and toasters are chipped up to eavesdrop wifi.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

^^^^^^ I think Huawei was effectively banned in the West first back in the early 00s for stealing & selling Cisco's routers (everything down to misspellings in the manuals). Stealing everything from Nortel, putting them out of business, & trying to steal Motorola staff & stuff. The security factor is more recent. Lenovo & ZTE were banned as well. Finding any brand computer w/out Chinese components may be impossible. LINK: http://siliconangle.com/blog/2013/07/30 ... blacklist/
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Every time I fire up my Huawei range extender the bastard neighbors brute it and camp out on it. Doesn't happen with any of my other Wi-Fi equipment, all running the same protocols, and with non-broadcasting SSIDs.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

frank lee bent wrote: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:22 am yeah, lenovo was first- then huawei.
rumour has it that even electric kettles and toasters are chipped up to eavesdrop wifi.

Yep,, even electric vibrators can have a spy camera inside them. Best to warn your girlfriends to go manual, digital has too many risks.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Maladroit Drunkard
Tourist
Yemen

Post by Maladroit Drunkard »

General Mackevili wrote: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:54 pm I seem to recall reading/hearing about a Chinese company that was sending out hardware with eavesdropping stuff on it last year.... Maybe a well-known brand, I forget..
you mean they had android spyware installed on them?
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Oh no!
My secrets!
All my secrets!
I am in soooooo much shit now.
Lol.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic