Vietnam. Ferry slams into tourist boat coming from Phnom Penh. Arms lost, legs broken. (Video in article link)

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Vietnam. Ferry slams into tourist boat coming from Phnom Penh. Arms lost, legs broken. (Video in article link)

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

By Ngoc Tai, Dinh Van
April 19, 2024

Ferry slams into tourist boat carrying 42 foreigners in Mekong Delta river

The tour guide, 36, had his right arm cut off by a piece of metal and both legs broken.
Two men from Germany and France, aged 57 and 67, had their left legs broken.

Two foreign tourists and a Vietnamese tour guide were injured after a ferry broadsided a boat carrying 42 passengers on the Tien River in the Mekong Delta Friday evening.

The Hang Chau Tourist Express Boat vessel was coming from Phnom Penh in Cambodia when, at around 6 p.m, the collision occurred in Vinh Xuong Commune in An Giang Province’s Chau Doc City around a kilometer from the border.

The ferry rammed into the middle of the boat’s starboard/port side, causing a large part of the vessel to break off and many standing tourists to fall down.

The tour guide, 36, had his right arm cut off by a piece of metal and both legs broken.

Two men from Germany and France, aged 57 and 67, had their left legs broken.

Que Chi, a ferry passenger, said the tourist boat had been traveling at a high speed before the collision. The captain had tried to slow down after noticing the approaching ferry, but was too late, he said.

Many passengers panicked after the collision and some burst into tears, he added.

Locals helped the captain remove the passengers out of the tourist boat, fearing the vessel could sink.
All three were rushed to a local hospital

Bui Thai Hoang, a commune official, said the two foreign tourists were stable by Friday night after receiving emergency treatment.

The tour guide's condition is more serious and he has been transfered to a bigger hospital.

Hoang said the boat has been licensed for operating for more than 10 years and was running its registered route on Friday evening.

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/ferry ... 30487.html
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Vietnam. Ferry slams into tourist boat coming from Phnom Penh. Arms lost, legs broken. (Video in article link)

Post by hanno »

I must have taken that boat 50+ times and had a few close calls. Their luck ran out.
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Vietnam. Ferry slams into tourist boat coming from Phnom Penh. Arms lost, legs broken. (Video in article link)

Post by ressl »

It doesn't get clear to me, what exactly has happened and who's fault it is. I am preloaded, that a ferry usually goes pretty slowly from one side of a river to the other, while a tourist boat "traveling at a high speed" follows the flow of the river. However, this high speed boat was incapable to avoid and accordingly got hit SIDEWAYS by a slow speed vessel. It is written that the tourist boat tried to slow down, rather to simply steer around, which makes even less sense to me, so I am sure I miss an important point here
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

(1) Was the high-speed boat captain Cambodian and,
(2) did he flee the scene afterwards?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

ressl wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:24 am It doesn't get clear to me, what exactly has happened and who's fault it is. I am preloaded, that a ferry usually goes pretty slowly from one side of a river to the other, while a tourist boat "traveling at a high speed" follows the flow of the river. However, this high speed boat was incapable to avoid and accordingly got hit SIDEWAYS by a slow speed vessel. It is written that the tourist boat tried to slow down, rather to simply steer around, which makes even less sense to me, so I am sure I miss an important point here
From my perspective the tourist boat hit the ferry & not the other way around

I think nobody was awake at the wheel, seems like there was plenty of time to see and take a slight turn to evade the ferry

shitshow either way
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:47 pm
The ferry rammed into the middle of the boat’s starboard/port side, causing a large part of the vessel to break off and many standing tourists to fall down.
Middle of the boats right/left side :shock:
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

ressl wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:24 am It doesn't get clear to me, what exactly has happened and who's fault it is. I am preloaded, that a ferry usually goes pretty slowly from one side of a river to the other, while a tourist boat "traveling at a high speed" follows the flow of the river. However, this high speed boat was incapable to avoid and accordingly got hit SIDEWAYS by a slow speed vessel. It is written that the tourist boat tried to slow down, rather to simply steer around, which makes even less sense to me, so I am sure I miss an important point here
I would think the khmer captain was a Lexus-driver. They do the same manoeuver in Phnom Penh with road dividers: slow down, dont simply steer around !! And it works in Phnom Penh, they useally hit the road divider, no !! ??
SINUS
Expatriate
Russia

Post by SINUS »

If we rely on the international rules for passing ships, then the captain of a ferry crossing the river was obliged to let a boat go straight along the river fairway.
it is like the main and secondary roads in the traffic rules.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic