Zombie Apocalypse

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Zombie Apocalypse

Post by Tootsfriend »

Come on world, USA and Canada, what the fucks going on. Do we have to get third word countries to show us how to live our lives and run a country

xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Zombie Apocalypse

Post by xandreu »

When I was young, many moons ago, it was common to participate in recreational drugs - weed, ecstasy and occasionally speed were the three main ones. Where I came from, although some people did do heroin, it was very, very frowned upon, and if you were a heroin user, you'd keep it to yourself. Heroin was always seen as a step too far.

Why?

Because we saw drugs as a way of enjoying ourselves. Apart from smoking weed, we'd only take ecstasy and speed at the weekends and at parties, raves or get-togethers. (even though this was most weekends) We used drugs to enhance our enjoyment of whatever event we were attending. We didn't see the point in taking drugs if you were just going to sit around and do nothing, (apart from smoking weed).

Whilst I haven't done any type of drug for 20 odd years now, I still have that same mentality. Which is why I can't understand watching these videos of people on fentanyl or whatever they're on. They don't look to me like they're having a particularly good time. On the contrary. They look like they're either dead or (when there was that bath salts epidemic) looked like they were living through some sort of horrific nightmare from hell.

I realise the issue of drugs is a very complex one, and that most people who are using fentanyl etc are using it as an escape from their otherwise awful lives, (plus it's apparently highly addictive) but I'd rather be sober, trying to improve my life, than live a life like that.

Drugs, to me, are still something you do for fun and enjoyment. (not that I'd do them now anyway), but not anymore it seems.

That being said, I do accept that what we see in videos like this, is just as much a failure of government as it is personal responsibility.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Ryan754326 »

Tootsfriend wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:37 am Come on world, USA and Canada, what the fucks going on. Do we have to get third word countries to show us how to live our lives and run a country
What else do you expect when the government makes it easier to live as a homeless junkie, than a working-class, contributing member of society?

People act like I have a death wish if I go to drink a few beers on street 51, but there’s at least as many dangerous drug addicts hanging out in front of my hometown Walmart on a Sunday afternoon.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Same as many US cities< SF, one of my favorite cites, has all but been destroyed
what gets me, after watching various new reports an you tube videos, is the number of YOUNG adults that seem to all have just given up on society an themselves

a sad state of affairs when our youth ....quits
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Roryborealis
Expatriate

Post by Roryborealis »

xandreu wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:24 am When I was young, many moons ago, it was common to participate in recreational drugs - weed, ecstasy and occasionally speed were the three main ones. Where I came from, although some people did do heroin, it was very, very frowned upon, and if you were a heroin user, you'd keep it to yourself. Heroin was always seen as a step too far.

Why?

Because we saw drugs as a way of enjoying ourselves. Apart from smoking weed, we'd only take ecstasy and speed at the weekends and at parties, raves or get-togethers. (even though this was most weekends) We used drugs to enhance our enjoyment of whatever event we were attending. We didn't see the point in taking drugs if you were just going to sit around and do nothing, (apart from smoking weed).

Whilst I haven't done any type of drug for 20 odd years now, I still have that same mentality. Which is why I can't understand watching these videos of people on fentanyl or whatever they're on. They don't look to me like they're having a particularly good time. On the contrary. They look like they're either dead or (when there was that bath salts epidemic) looked like they were living through some sort of horrific nightmare from hell.

I realise the issue of drugs is a very complex one, and that most people who are using fentanyl etc are using it as an escape from their otherwise awful lives, (plus it's apparently highly addictive) but I'd rather be sober, trying to improve my life, than live a life like that.

Drugs, to me, are still something you do for fun and enjoyment. (not that I'd do them now anyway), but not anymore it seems.

That being said, I do accept that what we see in videos like this, is just as much a failure of government as it is personal responsibility.
The opiates available are stronger and cheaper now.
It's fucked up that crack cocaine was the good old days.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

There are all sorts of weird drugs around these days, spice, trank, mephadrone and fentynal etc. I'm glad they weren't around when I was young and foolish.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

I remember years ago in NZ being offered a free 'taste' of a new thing called P - short for pure. I was told it was fucking awesome bro, you'll love it.
I had no idea what it was, and the only reason I declined was the guy told me it was a much better version of the speed people were snorting back then, I'd tried speed and it wasn't my thing, but I almost took him up on the offer anyway.

A few years later P - AKA crystal meth was everywhere and it was fucking people up. It's an epidemic now. I thank God I didn't take that free taster, but I can see how kids do take free tasters thinking it'll be ok, I'll just try it once. Problem is the new drugs are scary shit, super addictive, easy to overdose on and you never know what the hell you're getting.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Now it's a drug called "Tranq" ... whicked stuff. I think there are nearly 200k annual drug-related deaths now in the USA. Not including Pharma (legal dope) products. And still nobody's been held accountable for the Oxy epidemic ... which helped my younger cousin to an early exit. Was jonesing so hard, tried to rob a CVS ... failed and then cops shot him to death at a felony traffic stop. He was a good kid from a good family, just got hooked after a sports injury. This situation seems hopeless due to the leadership malpractice throughout the federal and state government who are bought and sold to the highest (no pun intended) bidders from the mega corporations. It's sickening to watch.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Tootsfriend wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:37 am Do we have to get third word countries to show us how to live our lives and run a country
Any particular country in mind ?
Because between "A la Dutertre" and "A la Pepe Mujica" there might be a slight difference of approach...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic