International Red Cross Hypocrisy in Myanmar and the Democratic Republic of Congo

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Tapon Munshi
Tourist
India

International Red Cross Hypocrisy in Myanmar and the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Tapon Munshi »

After a year and a half with ICRC in Myanmar and in the Democratic Republic of Congo I quit the organization despite its high salary and lucrative benefits. The reason is, simply, that we did nothing.
Read :

explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: International Red Cross Hypocrisy in Myanmar and the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by explorer »

## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: International Red Cross Hypocrisy in Myanmar and the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by explorer »

Here it is. They may want you to log in on the website.

ICRC HYPOCRISY IN MYANMAR AND THE DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO
Menelaos Agaloglou
Jan 24

Reading the sex scandals conducted by Oxfam personnel in Haiti I remembered past reports implicating UN peacekeepers in the Central African Republic, but it also raised more personal concerns, tied to my recent experience working for ICRC in Myanmar and then in Congo. The responses given by those implicated in the scandals often makes us believe that what is under scrutiny is the misconduct of particular individuals in an otherwise functioning and well-intentioned industry. Every activity, public or private, tends to get evaluated according to its own results. After a year and a half with ICRC in Myanmar and in the Democratic Republic of Congo I quit the organization despite its high salary and lucrative benefits. The reason is, simply, that we did nothing.

The first part of the article was published by Myanmar Times. Due to pressures from ICRC’s Public Relations Department the newspaper cancelled the publication of the rest of the article.

https://www.mmtimes.com/news/ngos-do-mo ... zones.html

After years of teaching in Ethiopia, Somalia and Sierra Leone and after having visited and reported from several African war zones, I decided to join... [continued in link]
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

In Cambodia there are some NGOs that are doing good things.

There are some NGOs which nobody would donate to if they knew what really goes on.

There are some NGOs where some money is not being used as it should be, but they are doing some good.

If the truth was to come out, most people would be shocked.

Be selective who you donate to, and who you get involved with.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic