You just can't win

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

You just can't win

Post by Soi Dog »

Does the good Lord in all his/her wisdom want humans to have any no-negative-impact energy sources at all? Fossil fuels have been a disaster for many parts of the developing world due to greed and politics and theoretically cause climate change. Nuclear power produces toxic waste and results in the occasional Fukushima/Chernobyl/Three Mile Island disaster. From the first time wind turbines started popping up all over the US, there were reports of birds, especially the large, endangered birds of prey, getting smacked and killed by the turning turbine blades, with technician having to pick up dozens of bird carcasses off the grounds each day.

So out in one of the hottest places on Earth, a $2,2 billion solar thermal power plant was installed, with thousands of large reflective mirrors concentrating the sun onto on raised focal point in the center, which boils water and turns the steam into electric power. But now little birdies are being literally incinerated mid-flight above the large, spread-out area of reflectors, where the mirrors act like giant magnifying glasses and heat the air above to 900 degrees. Apparently, the poor things can actually catch fire and come crashing to the ground like a WW1 Sopwith Camel bi-plane. The bird-loving Audubon Society (an environmental/wildlife conservation group) is crying foul. Or is it "fowl".

I don't know if the following link will work outside the US...and if it does you will have to sit through the commercial first to watch the report.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/video/Califo ... ero_sf_TIV
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: You just can't win

Post by beaker »

:bow:
Last edited by beaker on Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

I think the concept that you can get energy without it having a negative impact of some kind is unrealistic, especially in the volumes that mankind demands.
0to60
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by 0to60 »

How about when all the oil is gone? Will there be enough horses for everyone?
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

OrangeDragon wrote:I think the concept that you can get energy without it having a negative impact of some kind is unrealistic, especially in the volumes that mankind demands.

I have never , as an adult, lived on the grid, until moving here 6 years ago. Lived in oregon planting trees in a 1942 housetruck I built with recycled stuff, 15 years in the alaska wilderness, and 15 years more living on my sailboat on a mooring.
It's more about changing your life style as much as using things like solar panels.
None of the alternatives I used had a negative impact.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

No, but you're 1 person. Multiply that by 7 billion people on the plant and you'll see a lot of negative impact. Though that's also unrealistic because of the fact many of those people live in areas that won't sustain them.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

OrangeDragon wrote:No, but you're 1 person. Multiply that by 7 billion people on the plant and you'll see a lot of negative impact. Though that's also unrealistic because of the fact many of those people live in areas that won't sustain them.
I would contend that it was a positive impact using recycled material and not being on the grid. 0 x 7,000,000,000 = 0
As being unrealistic because people live in areas won't sustain them , how about wires just like have been used for years.
jimi hendrix
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

beaker wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote:No, but you're 1 person. Multiply that by 7 billion people on the plant and you'll see a lot of negative impact. Though that's also unrealistic because of the fact many of those people live in areas that won't sustain them.
I would contend that it was a positive impact using recycled material and not being on the grid. 0 x 7,000,000,000 = 0
As being unrealistic because people live in areas won't sustain them , how about wires just like have been used for years.
My point was, it's making the assumption that there's enough recyclable materials to support 7,000,000,000 people doing it. In all likelihood there wouldn't be. At least not easily accessible to many (most?) of them. Just like if we put 7,000,000,000 in sailboats there would likely be a strong negative impact on the oceans as their human waste began to fill them up. Upsetting ecosystems/etc.

Wires: Wouldn't that be... you know... a grid?
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

OrangeDragon wrote:
beaker wrote:
Wouldn't that be... you know... a grid?
Yes, that's a grid. No one contends that the grid is the problem it's the way the energy is produced.
There was also a guy named Tesla who had a way to transport energy without wires but because they couldn't figure out how to make money from that system it was buried.
Last edited by beaker on Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimi hendrix
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

beaker wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote:
beaker wrote:
Wouldn't that be... you know... a grid?
Yes, that's a grid. No one contends that the grid is the problem it's the way the type of polluting energy used to produce the power.
So then... how do you propose we generate enough power to satisfy the needs of 7,000,000,000 people to send across those wires in a way that's not environmentally damaging?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic