Female Acid Attack Victims Partake in Fashion Shoot

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Female Acid Attack Victims Partake in Fashion Shoot

Post by General Mackevili »

Hopefully this will get spread around Cambodia and they will follow suite. Brave girls.

An acid attack survivor who used to hide her face has bravely posed for a fashion photo shoot with her friends and fellow survivors, all of whom wore her own designs.

The photo shoot includes five young Indian acid attack victims photographed by Rahul Saharan in Rupa's clothing collection, called Rupa Designs.

Rupa, Rita, Sonam, Laxmi and Chanchal have all been the victims of horrendous acid attacks.

They have spent years hiding their faces - until now. United, they have come forward and decided to take part in the fashion shoot.

Rupa, 22, said: 'I always wanted to be a designer but after the attack there was a pause in my life. I was so insecure and embarrassed by my scars I used to cover my face with a scarf. I always hung onto my dream but I never knew that one day it would be possible and I would be launching my own label.'

But these young women have now shown their attackers they will no longer hide their faces and deserve to live a life of dignity.

Rupa, who dropped her surname after she disowned her father for supporting her stepmother after she attacked her with acid, teamed up with a charity campaign Stop Acid Attacks and decided to fight for justice for herself and other acid attack fighters.

Stop Acid Attacks work extensively with acid attack survivors, helping them back into society and bolstering their self-esteem.

They have also created Chhaon, a support centre for acid attack survivors. It's a clean, safe and comfortable environment for them to spend time in while they receive medical aid. Chhaon has also become a meeting house for all survivors where they chat, sing, dance - and laugh.

Rupa was asleep in August 2008 when her stepmother threw acid on her face. She was found guilty and sentenced to prison but India's poor judicial system has meant she is now free and living her life with no signs of remorse after serving just 18 months.

Rupa said: 'Chhaon has helped me feel confident again and believe in myself. I have always loved fashion and tailoring but I never thought I could start my own label. This is the first time I have presented my clothes and I am glad to see them being appreciated. '

The charity asked photographer Rahul Saharan to get involved and together helped the girls feel confident enough to be photographed.

'It was a wonderful shoot. I'm a very shy girl, but Rahul made it easy and comfortable for us all to face the camera with pride,' Rupa added.

Rahul, 24, from Delhi, is overwhelmed with the response to his work. He said: 'I have been associated with Chhaon for the last two-and-half years but this is the first time I feel like I've put my skills to good use to help these lovely girls. I feel blessed to have got this exclusive opportunity.'

Rahul, who worked free of cost for the shoot, added: 'I kept telling the girls "don't let others tell you what beauty is, you yourself are beautiful, every woman is beautiful".'

He is now hoping to organize a photo exhibition to help the acid attack survivors with the proceeds.

'This photo shoot is my tribute to all the brave women across the globe who have gone through this gruesome torture. I'm glad that I could do my part in supporting them,' he added.

Rupa has already sold three orders to a US tourist for Rs 1,500 (around £15) and has got an order from an Indian businesswoman for a traditional dress.

'I just hope.....

...click link to continue reading the article, and for more pictures and videos...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... shoot.html

By Taniya Dutta

To support these girls please visit http://www.stopacidattacks.org

And to get involved with Rupa's designs visit: http://www.bitgiving.com/project/index/id/BIT102
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
taranis
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Female Acid Attack Victims Partake in Fashion Shoot

Post by taranis »

404 Not Known
Last edited by taranis on Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
God Forgives. I don't!
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

The girl on far left is a cutie. I'd totally marry her. I don't know if she'd feel better or worse about herself if she heard me say that.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Mrs Stroppy
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Mrs Stroppy »

What amazing and brave women!
Using Tapatalk
Drifter
Expatriate

Post by Drifter »

yet another NGO sucking money from sensible donors with fat pockets.
just what we needed.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic