Indonesia to raise entertainment tax 40%-75%.

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Indonesia to raise entertainment tax 40%-75%.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Travel costs in Indonesia the last few years have been rising faster than I can ever recall, and now you can put another minimum 40% on your already expensive drinks - cheap bars will be charging over $USD4 for a 650ml Bintang (if my attempts at math is any good).

Of course, people will always find money for what they want to do, but there is eventually a ceiling that's going to be hit - Indonesia is twisting the screws on us budget travelers!

Under the law governing Financial Relations between the Central Government and Regional Governments (HKPD), the goods and services tax for entertainment venues like nightclubs, karaoke lounges, bars, and spas are now set at a minimum rate of 40 percent, and a maximum of 75 percent

"Many middle to lower-income citizens will suffer if the tourism sector does not progress. Thailand has even lowered the entertainment tax to just 5 percent, and the alcohol tax has been reduced. Tourists are heading to Dubai, Thailand, and Malaysia; Bali seems a bit quiet," Hotman Paris said.

https://jakartaglobe.id/business/indone ... nment-tax-
law
https://jakartaglobe.id/lifestyle/atlas ... x-increase
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Re: Indonesia to raise entertainment tax 40%-75%.

Post by Ghostwriter »

That seems more like a wish than a strategy, Indonesian's Muslim bias is often plotting to make money over what is considered a sin, although the country having 5 official religions, they can't have the full hand on restrictions and regulations of this sort.
It often blows back to the face of the legislator.
Indonesians are willing to save face and look moral, but they often have a mood for relaxed, alcohol and naughty stuff like other people from countries around.
This would hurt Bali of course, but piss off a lot of people in Jakarta and big cities all around the archipelago.
I don't think it will stick.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

....Aaaand i forgot : it's presidential election time, this year.
So yeah, ready to anything to attract attention, even if ridiculous ^^

truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

If the price of beer was sooooo relevant for decision making Cambodia should be awash with tourists.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic