Looking for a Condo

Looking for an apartment to rent in Phnom Penh? We have you covered. This is a good starting point for expats who are in the process of moving to Cambodia to live and work. Finding a villa, condo, flat, or borey to stay in when you arrive is probably one of your top priorities. Check out our listings from the community! And if you have a house or apartment for rent, you're welcome to list it here for free. Kampot, Siem Reap, Battambang, Sihanoukville, and other provinces around Cambodia also have places to rent, but you might have better luck finding them on foot after you arrive, as the largest number of listings are in the capital city of Phnom Penh.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Looking for a Condo

Post by Doc67 »

I am in the market for a condo. I am no longer interested in 'modernised' apartments in decrepit buildings. 10 days in a Bangkok apartment have shaken me awake as to how much I have compromised on basic living standards.

I keep reading how this is a buyer's market with so many empty and available, but I can't find any of these places. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but from where I am sitting, there is a very little available that meet even the most basic criteria and much of it is little more than a joke - junk furniture, 4 cupboards and sink masquerading as a kitchen and other idiotic interior designs.

Can anyone help? Here's the brief:

Location: Riverside, from, (North to South) street 104 down to Naga and inland to Monivong to the west. I would consider north BKK1, but nothing west or north of the other boundaries.

1 or 2 bed, elevator, between $500 to $750 a month.

A pool and gym would be a bonus but not a deal breaker.

Any help gratefully appreciated. In fact, if anyone points me to a place that I take, I'll give you $100.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Re: Looking for a Condo

Post by Gazzy »

Try Victoria Apartments, st 113/115/107. They have 3 towers. Pool n gym. One bedroom apartment around £550. 24 hr security.
Mister Nice Guy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mister Nice Guy »

People are just desperate to sell, is all...and for good reason.

I've heard the owners of The Nature hotel in Siem Reap always have something cooking wherein sales and long term rentals are concerned....good luck
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Gazzy wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:59 pm Try Victoria Apartments, st 113/115/107. They have 3 towers. Pool n gym. One bedroom apartment around £550. 24 hr security.
That is outside of his search area. And I don't think they have elevators? At least not all of the Victoria Apartments have one. And they are hardly comparable to modern Bangkok condos.
Doc67 wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:06 am I am in the market for a condo. I am no longer interested in 'modernised' apartments in decrepit buildings. 10 days in a Bangkok apartment have shaken me awake as to how much I have compromised on basic living standards.

I keep reading how this is a buyer's market with so many empty and available, but I can't find any of these places. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but from where I am sitting, there is a very little available that meet even the most basic criteria and much of it is little more than a joke - junk furniture, 4 cupboards and sink masquerading as a kitchen and other idiotic interior designs.

Location: Riverside, from, (North to South) street 104 down to Naga and inland to Monivong to the west. I would consider north BKK1, but nothing west or north of the other boundaries.

Any help gratefully appreciated. In fact, if anyone points me to a place that I take, I'll give you $100.
That is the thing what people on this forum don't understand. It's not a buyer's market if you are looking something in specific central location and want something modern and good like the condos in Bangkok for example. All the good places are occupied, and to be honest I think your budget is too limited, especially if you hope to get a pool too. Only left are condos that are bought by locals with loose money who have no idea how to decorate apartment and know what the the real market price for their unit is, or old serviced apartments with wooded furnitures and weird layouts (like suggested Victoria Apartments).

But you might find something decent from BKK1 or Koh Pich area area with that budget. Also if you are willing to go beyond the Monivong Boulevard to BKK2/3 areas should give you more options.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

rogerrabbit wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:50 pm
Gazzy wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:59 pm Try Victoria Apartments, st 113/115/107. They have 3 towers. Pool n gym. One bedroom apartment around £550. 24 hr security.
That is outside of his search area. And I don't think they have elevators? At least not all of the Victoria Apartments have one. And they are hardly comparable to modern Bangkok condos.
Doc67 wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:06 am I am in the market for a condo. I am no longer interested in 'modernised' apartments in decrepit buildings. 10 days in a Bangkok apartment have shaken me awake as to how much I have compromised on basic living standards.

That is the thing what people on this forum don't understand. It's not a buyer's market if you are looking something in specific central location and want something modern and good like the condos in Bangkok for example. All the good places are occupied, and to be honest I think your budget is too limited, especially if you hope to get a pool too. Only left are condos that are bought by locals with loose money who have no idea how to decorate apartment and know what the the real market price for their unit is, or old serviced apartments with wooded furnitures and weird layouts (like suggested Victoria Apartments).

But you might find something decent from BKK1 or Koh Pich area area with that budget. Also if you are willing to go beyond the Monivong Boulevard to BKK2/3 areas should give you more options.
Thanks for the reply, I value your views on these matters and you grasp the problem.

I don't want to be west of Monivong, it's just too restrictive and the traffic will only get worse over time making it more of a pain to get to.

As for budget, I can pay more but even at $1000 a month there is still more duff places than good ones. I think they are just owners who are deluding themselves. The quality of housing stock is terrible.

The 2 bed/ 2 bath one in Bangkok was THB 22,000 ($600) a month on a month-to-month basis. I might go and live there for a while!
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Grand Barong wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:11 pm
A perfect example of a really crap apartment with no proper kitchen and a pathetic design. There is one in that building now being advertised for $900 a month. :facepalm:
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Rattan furniture in the shower, ?
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

How long are you willing to sign a lease for?
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Nothing like a few days in Thailand to awaken one self to the shit you put up with here,and for what?
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic