Mercedes ML280CDI 2006 for Sale

Have a car, truck, motorcycle, or bicycle you'd like to sell? List it here for free. Heck, you can even buy and sell tuktuks or your pink Scoopy here. Remember, you need a driver's license in Cambodia for cars, trucks, and any motorbike that's over 125cc. And always wear a helmet!
rubberbaron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Mercedes ML280CDI 2006 for Sale

Post by rubberbaron »

This is something for a person who knows something about cars and is ready to buy this vehicle at a very low price and do the required repair work and then use it him/herself or sell it at good price afterwards.

MB ML280CDI
Year 2006
KM: 220,000
Tax and plate ok
Road tax paid.
Tech
Condition: good
Diesel engine works great - no problems
Partial leather seats.
Technical inspection done in April 2020.
I have had it for 7 years - imported myself directly from Germany. I am the second owner.
Price $12,000 - current market value for this type car $20,000 to $25,000.

Repairs needed:
Crankcase sensor: price in Europe Euro 40
Transmission ISM (Intelligent Servo Module): price in Europe anywhere from $200 to $400 for remanufactured parts - needs to be coded to the vehicle - shop in PP can do this
Airbag control module reset to its original state: there is a shop in PP who can do this. Approx. $100.
Transmission stuck in P so needs to be transported to shop. $300 from Kep to PP.
Labor: estimate $150.

It gave out on me on my way to PP (fortunately near my home in Kep) for the airbag reset.
I got a new car already and am simply tired of going back and forth to PP because only there can all this be done. Sometimes you even have to go to PP to pay the import duty.
I had a lot of things done before, e.g. power steering pump, tie rods, front bushings, etc. This is why the car is in good condition. I can help getting the parts shipped from Germany or other places in Europe. Import duty can be worked out so the 58% on parts comes out acceptable. Shipping would mostly be by DHL - estimated express mail cost $100 - items are very light and fit in a padded envelope. So you might be looking at $1500 total cost.

ImageImageImage
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Mercedes ML280CDI 2006 for Sale

Post by Doc67 »

I am continually astonished by the price of cars in Cambodia. No amount of import duty can account for it.

This car, an old, high mileage, low end model of one of Mercedes worst models, plus a non runner with a blown gearbox, would struggle to make $1500 in the UK. And parts are plentiful and so too is experienced and skilled labour. Once it is up and running it would struggle to make $4000.

I doubt it would make any more than that in Europe either, which begs the question, how much are the import duties on 10+ year old cars? There must be money to be made somehow...
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Good luck with the sale, but I'd doubt you get close to that asking price unless you fix it all first.
rubberbaron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by rubberbaron »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:53 pm I am continually astonished by the price of cars in Cambodia. No amount of import duty can account for it.

This car, an old, high mileage, low end model of one of Mercedes worst models, plus a non runner with a blown gearbox, would struggle to make $1500 in the UK. And parts are plentiful and so too is experienced and skilled labour. Once it is up and running it would struggle to make $4000.

I doubt it would make any more than that in Europe either, which begs the question, how much are the import duties on 10+ year old cars? There must be money to be made somehow...
I paid 126% import duty and VAT on this car. This is not a low end or worst MB model. It just has less HP than the 320 or 350, same engine though. Options are always added on with German premium makes. This just goes to show that you are not very knowledgeable about MB cars. I have had MB cars E-class, ML-class for over 25 year without problems. They were all very reliable. Until I had a Khmer mechanic work on this one at one time. You can easily put 500,000 km on those engines. The gearbox is not blown, the ISM, of you know what that is, failed. This happens on any make.
This is not the UK. This is SE Asia with high import duties on luxury items. I imported another high-end car and paid 137.5% import duty. It is clear that the used car market will have much higher prices than in the U. S. or Europe. Try to buy a used car in Singapore or Bangkok, you will find the same astonishing prices. So why do you think a new Lexus or Landcruiser is $200,000 here?
rubberbaron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by rubberbaron »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:30 pm Good luck with the sale, but I'd doubt you get close to that asking price unless you fix it all first.
I had an offer of $18,000 for it before the electronic failure happened. I know this is a long shot and might just have all the repairs done myself after all and keep it as a second car for my step-children in case I can't sell it.
scott61
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by scott61 »

https://www.motors.co.uk/mercedes-benz/ ... used-cars/

prices in UK average £5,000 ($6,000) for this type/year.
Welcome to social media. You will be contacted shortly by someone who doesn't understand humour.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

scott61 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:37 pm https://www.motors.co.uk/mercedes-benz/ ... used-cars/

prices in UK average £5,000 ($6,000) for this type/year.

We're not in Kansas anymore Toto.
ash333
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ash333 »

A good condition 2008ish Lexus RX400h is easily bought for £3-5k in the UK. In Cambodia a worn out 200,000 mile Prius is double that.

Also, used cars sell for much less in the UK than Europe. Partly down to the lack of RHD countries they can be exported to. There's also a lot of salt used in winter so the cars rot much faster.

Perhaps someone could find me a decent Moto for $200, in London please.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

rubberbaron wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:53 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:53 pm I am continually astonished by the price of cars in Cambodia. No amount of import duty can account for it.

I paid 126% import duty and VAT on this car. This is not a low end or worst MB model. It just has less HP than the 320 or 350, same engine though. Options are always added on with German premium makes. This just goes to show that you are not very knowledgeable about MB cars. I have had MB cars E-class, ML-class for over 25 year without problems. They were all very reliable. Until I had a Khmer mechanic work on this one at one time. You can easily put 500,000 km on those engines. The gearbox is not blown, the ISM, of you know what that is, failed. This happens on any make.
I think he’s referring to the ML model as a whole because they were plagued with electrical issues and other problems (air suspension, brakes etc), the mk2 was better but not really.

It’s a tad high price wise and the wrong colour, light is better, and partial leather. Nahh.
Does it have any expensive options like the diff lock off road package?

I may be interested but that seven speed box is an expensive headache.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

Oh and have you had a diagnosis OBD tool done?
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic