Buying a motorcycle in Thailand for Cambodia

Have a car, truck, motorcycle, or bicycle you'd like to sell? List it here for free. Heck, you can even buy and sell tuktuks or your pink Scoopy here. Remember, you need a driver's license in Cambodia for cars, trucks, and any motorbike that's over 125cc. And always wear a helmet!
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Buying a motorcycle in Thailand for Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

Any advice please: I would like to purchase a new Ducati motorcycle in Thailand as the price there is $4,000 USD less than in Phnom Penh. Ducati Cambodia gets the motorcycle from the manufacturing plant in Thailand.

First, Can I purchase a new motorcycle in Thailand without a residence in Thailand? Can I purchase it and then not register the bike in Thailand (probably unlikely)? That way I can ship it to PP and not ride it in Thailand. Also heard something about having to purchase required insurance (20,000 baht) when buying the bike.

I queried the archives and did not find this topic but I apologize in advance if I missed it.

Thank you.
Ronny
BANNED

Re: Buying a motorcycle in Thailand for Cambodia

Post by Ronny »

I have no idea, dude, but from what I've heard the taxes for importing to Cambodia are very expensive and it's just not worth it. If it were worth it then I'd be taking my 2015 Mazda BT-50 3,2 truck with me but it's almost impossible to do. And that's one thing that really surprised me. I thought vehicles in Thailand were expensive (and they are) but boy oh boy, cars and trucks in Cambodia are outrageously expensive. Even 20+ year-old clunkers in Cambodia people are asking at least $4,000 and up for which is insane.
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

P.S. And if I'm wrong about anything I said then please feel free to let me know because, believe me, this is one thing I'd love to be wrong about.
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

For reference, this motorcycle is $11,500 in US, $13,500 in Thailand, and $17,500 in Cambodia. I am trying to avoid shipping from the US so the reason for asking about Thailand. But even with shipping cost from the US and Cambodia import tariff it will be less than $14,000. Only thing is having to wait 40 days to get to Sihanoukville by boat. So you are right, still 25% more to buy in Cambodia. And all they have to do is get it shipped from Thailand.
Cambodia HE loves his car and moto tariffs. If you go to the dealer in Phnom Penh the showroom is still full of 2015 models.
Popeye
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Popeye »

Years ago I purchased A Honda Phantom in Thailand. I was a non resident, had it transferred into my name to get the owners book (green book) which immigration in Thailand needed to see to leave Thailand. You get 30 days to return the bike to Thailand, if late you lose bike (confiscated). Then on entering Cambodia, did not stop at customs to inform them of bike, just kept going through border post. Have not been back with bike since. So no problem there. But am sure of the above mention of having bike in your name and registered to leave Thailand.
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

I get your point, Popeye. If you're taking a bike or car or truck from Thailand into Cambodia, you must get a "Passport" for the car or truck or bike and they have to be fully paid for and in your name. And the "passport" is issued for a maximum of 30 days and if you cross the border late your are fine something like $10 every day. But if you don't plan on returning, the real question is how do you go about registering your vehicle in Cambodia and making it legal without paying a small fortune? If you know tell us.
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

I have been quoted $2250 as the import tariff to get this bike into Cambodia. I was told that the total is calculated by engine cc, model year, and purchase price. 20% of the US purchase price. Not small but much less than the almost 100% tariff on new cars. Other than filling someone's pockets, I don't understand the economic impetus behind such large tariffs as they are certainly not protecting a domestic car industry or jobs in Cambodia as is the purpose of most tariffs.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Buy a 2nd hand Ducati here or another sports bike here, cheap, very difficult to get good return on big bikes here.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

the rationale is that it encourages the vendors to assemble locally and avoid import tariffs
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

frank lee bent wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:59 pm the rationale is that it encourages the vendors to assemble locally and avoid import tariffs
That's it. Take the bike to pieces and import it as spare parts. Re-assemble when it gets here.

Wouldn't be the first time that's been done.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic