What is happening in Thailand on August 7 ? Why can't I get a drink ?

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

What is happening in Thailand on August 7 ? Why can't I get a drink ?

Post by Anchor Moy »

For those who were wondering why they can't get a drink in Thailand this weekend, the constitutional referendum that is to take place this Sunday, August 7, is explained simply here. I'm not sure why they have banned alcohol before and during polling though. I would have thought that any possible violence would come after the announcement of the results, which are expected several days after the vote...
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... s-answered
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: What is happening in Thailand on August 7 ? Why can't I get a drink ?

Post by phuketrichard »

the reason they ban drinking during voting times is so the local politicians can not hold parties with free booze and the voters get drunk

It wont pass
and even if it does, there wont be elections for awhile
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

No alcohol sales from 6 pm Saturday to midnight Sunday.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

whens the buddhas holiday coming up? cant drink for a couple of days for that either, supposed to celebrate the date of when buddhism first started or something
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

bullshit, buddha never preach about not drinking alcohol or eating meat, its the stupid misinterpretation of his followers

buddha just preach "be mindful of your actions"
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
venusianhart
Expatriate

Post by venusianhart »

It's the followers who fbar most religions. It's all about control... always was, always will be.

Sent from my SM-J200GU using Tapatalk
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

No more Buddha holidays this year. The biggies have come and gone.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

More Foreign Embassies Issue Warnings to Citizens Ahead of This Weekend’s Referendum
FOREIGN COUNTRIES have warned their citizens in Thailand to stay safe given possible political tensions in the run-up to Sunday’s referendum on the charter draft.

Embassies of the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, Japan, Finland and Denmark have issued messages warning their citizens to be vigilant, to avoid large gatherings and to observe Thai laws.

The warnings are based on perceptions of possible political unrest on Sunday.

The US Embassy emphasised the junta’s suppression of public expression and possibly a heightened military presence during the referendum.

It said the junta had banned mass political gatherings and placed restrictions on media, freedom of speech and freedom of assembly.

“Individuals, including foreigners, may be detained for publicly criticising the National Council for Peace and Order or the monarchy,” it said in a security message on its website yesterday. “Security forces have additional powers, including the right to control movement and search for weapons.”...
http://pattayaone.net/world-news/229352 ... eferendum/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Warnings on what NOT to do during the referendum: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/2294 ... endum-day/
Voters are warned not to “selfie” themselves with their smart phones at the polling units when they cast their votes this Sunday because the practice is illegal, said election commissioner Somchai Srisutthiyakorn on Friday.

And even if there is no law prohibiting the wearing of shirts with the words “yes” or “no” printed on them, he advised voters not to wear them on the referendum day because, if that provokes a quarrel or an argument, then they may be deemed violating the referendum law.
http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/2294 ... endum-day/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

That's so fuked up it makes the US appear rational, Now that's fuked up.

When I was a young lad alcohol sales were banned a certain distance from polling places. But also on Sunday, certain christfuk holidays, some county's & grandmas house. Right!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic