Fraud warning issued.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Fraud warning issued.

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Warning issued after Ponzi scheme busted

Thu, 14 July 2016
Post Staff

The Ministry of Interior and the Securities and Exchange Commission of Cambodia (SECC) issued a joint release yesterday announcing that investigations of Empire Big Capital Ltd (EBC) and related firms AIF and ICA showed the companies had engaged in investment fraud.

Authorities shut down EBC last year and arrested several of its staff on suspicion of operating a Ponzi scheme.

The release, dated July 8, urged victims of the fraud to take legal action, and warned the public to be wary of “risky” investment schemes promising high rates of return.
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/w ... eme-busted
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Luigi
Expatriate

Re: Fraud warning issued.

Post by Luigi »

How the hell could you trust your money to an entity called Empire Big Capital?
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Luigi wrote:How the hell could you trust your money to an entity called Empire Big Capital?
Haha, now I can't get the sound out of my head of Stacy Keach saying "Empire Big Capital"
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

I remember The Big Group who were property developers with an office in BKK1.
StungTrengBooBarang
Expatriate

Post by StungTrengBooBarang »

Where any connected to any land selling scams?

Last year on joker night in walkabout, some really drunk dude with a heavy french/belgium accent was offering me land in Kampot for $10000, that he claimed a barang could own 100% without need of the khmer51% rule, and if you wait 3 years it will sell for at least $30000.

But of course i needed to go see his kampot local, and saying something like "this guy wont cheat you like other khmer"

I never saw him around again, perhaps he forgot about it, or he was saying the scam just for a laugh.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

StungTrengBooBarang wrote:Where any connected to any land selling scams?

Last year on joker night in walkabout, some really drunk dude with a heavy french/belgium accent was offering me land in Kampot for $10000, that he claimed a barang could own 100% without need of the khmer51% rule, and if you wait 3 years it will sell for at least $30000.

But of course i needed to go see his kampot local, and saying something like "this guy wont cheat you like other khmer"

I never saw him around again, perhaps he forgot about it, or he was saying the scam just for a laugh.
Hello sir. I have a very nice bridge to sell you for the same price. Almost new and hardly used. :thumb:
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

StungTrengBooBarang wrote: Last year on joker night in walkabout, some really drunk dude with a heavy french/belgium accent was offering me land in Kampot for $10000, that he claimed a barang could own 100% without need of the khmer51% rule, and if you wait 3 years it will sell for at least $30000.
Foreigners can own land via the nominee system, no need for a Khmer to own 51%, obviously the title cannot be held in a foreigners name though. A legal contract protects the foreign owner, Khmer nominee cannot touch the land, but they will receive a percentage of the sale price if the foreigner sells, about 4% is the standard, they also receive an initial commission for agreeing to be the nominee.

Land prices are increasing significantly in Kampot, and depending on the location of the land mentioned, an increase of $20k could be possible. For instance, if someone had bought land a year or two ago where the port is being constructed, then they'd definitely see a significant return in 3 years. About 4 years ago I was looking at land which was selling at $5 sq/m, that same land is now selling for $12 + sq/m.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic