Bunch of grapes sells for £8,350 in Japan

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Bunch of grapes sells for £8,350 in Japan

Post by Anchor Moy »

Giving rare and expensive fruit as a gift gives you high status in Japan. I get the feeling that it's more about how much it cost to buy than whether the fruit is any good, despite what they say here.
ImageAP
The bunch of about 30 grapes of the Ruby Roman variety sold for 1.1m yen (£8,350) – about £270 a grape. Each grape is roughly the size of a ping pong ball.

The grapes are grown in Ishikawa prefecture, and to qualify for the Ruby Roman designation, each grape must weigh at least 20g and have a sugar content of at least 18%.

According to the Ruby Roman club website run by the Ishikawa prefecture, the cultivation process began in 1992 when seeds of the Fujiminori variety were sown. Over the years, they were then cultivated into the Roman Ruby variety, which was named after submissions from the public in 2004. The first grapes went on sale in 2008, and prices have been rising ever since.

Seasonal fruit offerings in Japan routinely attract large sums from buyers seeking social prestige, or from shop owners keen to attract customers...
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... 0-in-japan

And I'm sure someone has an appropriate meme for this ... :popcorn:
The king of fruits in the country is the melon, which serves as a status symbol akin to a vintage wine, and is given as a high-ranking gift. A single pair of melons fetched 1.5m yen at an auction last year.
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Bunch of grapes sells for £8,350 in Japan

Post by SinnSisamouth »

good price.
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

SinnSisamouth wrote:good price.
Juansweetpotato reckons they should only be £8,300.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
mammothboy2
Expatriate

Post by mammothboy2 »

My Japanese years are behind me and my memory is far from perfect, but I clearly remember a period when one particular kind of mushroom was selling for over $700 a mushroom and when there were headlines about an active smuggling trade from North Korea (DPRK) involving rare mushrooms and freshwater fish changing hands for several thousand dollars a kilo.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic