Government Bans Two Songs Deemed Too Sexual

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Government Bans Two Songs Deemed Too Sexual

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Seems more like a song about a guy who wants to take get virginity, but she's saying it'll take a long time to get it. Not exactly crazy. Holy crap does she have a terrible voice though. Is it just me? Is this what passes for a Khmer singer/star nowadays? Seems like even the most amateur of YouTube singers or street buskers sounds better than she does.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
table42
Expatriate

Post by table42 »

*Holy crap does she have a terrible voice though.*

Nope, you're not alone; her voice made it difficult for me to give the song the added concentration I referred to in the OP. Dengue Fever doesn't have to move over just yet.
I try not to let my mouth say nothin my mind can't stand. Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong. Or

I know nothing, I see nothing, in fact I'm not here right now.
Romanian source debriefed in West Berlin
franzjaeger
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by franzjaeger »

After all the pedo shit going on, I'd say the local schlager being blasted everywhere is a real nuisance.
table42
Expatriate

Post by table42 »

Hey Franz I doubt many posters here understand German. Can't you use *hit or pop tune" instead of"schlager", which should be capitalized anyway.
I try not to let my mouth say nothin my mind can't stand. Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong. Or

franzjaeger
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by franzjaeger »

schlager:

Umbrella term for shallow pop music genres in German speaking Europe and adjacent areas.
Derived from the English term "Hit" for popular song.
Ranging from pseudo Tex Mex through Eurovision/Las Vegas type music and beyond, Schlager is an umbrella term rather than a genre.
"Turn that Schlager station off now before I hurl stuff at the radio!"
table42
Expatriate

Post by table42 »

Just asking, I never heard it in many decades of living im the States. I only know it from Germany. I still doubt that many readers here know or use it.

I looked it up in Wikipedia and they call it a style.
http://www.google.com.kh/search?q=schlager&btnG=

However you look at it the music is schlock or pure kitsch. Thanks for that.

franzjaeger
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by franzjaeger »

Yeah, it'd be interesting to run a survey on why the average music production here is so dire, self-important and uninventive. And probably the reason why so many young people decide to ignore it for the K-Pop genre, which, whether you hate it or not, has a far more sophisticated production style behind it.
table42
Expatriate

Post by table42 »

Only a Cambodian can really answer your question but I assume pop music production is more sophisticated because there's more money in it.

franzjaeger
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by franzjaeger »

it might just be a product of the music industry here being on the same hands as the people who took power in the 90's Creativity seem to have a habit of flourishing in lesser controlled environments. Possibly the strict media control is having a negative effect on what is being released. The gf who is quite conservative, is often angered by my opinion and calls the lesser known Khmer acts I cherish as 'dirty' or 'improper'. yet they have groove, original tunes and a large underground following, but are being ignored by mainstream media, probably due to the strict control over it here. No doubt there is a lot of talent out there imho.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic