Property Title in Cambodian Female name

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
steelyRon
Expatriate

Property Title in Cambodian Female name

Post by steelyRon »

When it comes to having a Cambodian female's name on a property title, I've heard that in order to get a females name on a title, that if she is married, her husband must be listed as well. And that if divorced or widowed, then a paper must be given by the Sangkat validating this. What about a single female that has never been married? Are there any special requirements for that?
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Property Title in Cambodian Female name

Post by frank lee bent »

anyone can hold property in their own name regardless of marriage status
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

GF holds three pieces of property in HER name an she has been married an divorced and needed nothing special to put her name on the land deeds.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

frank lee bent wrote:anyone can hold property in their own name regardless of marriage status
While I agree that the law allows single ownership within the spouses (all the ministers wifes are very often the one holding the titles), on the other hand when your everyday couple buy a hard titled land, the local sorya dei office (especially in the provinces) will try its best to put both spouse names on the land title as it is customary.
Add to this the in laws understanding of it and the pressure against single ownership might become so strong that it might become virtually impossible to achieve unless someone way more powerful and feared than the administrative officers in charge, call and oblige them to do it.

Just my 2ct since I found myself in the same situation before.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic