Re-reading Amit Gilboa's "Off the Rails in Phnom Penh"

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Re-reading Amit Gilboa's "Off the Rails in Phnom Penh"

Post by John Bingham »

The reviews on that Amazon page are funny.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

LTO wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:54 pm Some truth, some fiction, some in-between, from the POV of a gutter dwelling rat.
superferret
Expatriate
Albania

Post by superferret »

LTO wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:54 pm Some truth, some fiction, some in-between, from the POV of a gutter dwelling rat.
What parts were the fiction and in-between?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

superferret wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:00 pm
What parts were the fiction and in-between?
As LTO is unable to reply, may he RIP, I would say that for the most part it was pretty accurate. The fiction is Gilboa describing what everyone else is up to, while he is just a quiet non-partaking observer.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

“When I was in England, I experimented with marijuana a time or two, and didn’t like it,” Clinton said. “I didn’t inhale, and I didn’t try it again"

i fond much of the book 90% spot on even compared to my early trips in 1999
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

it certainly shows many of the reasons that have tarnished the country's reputation even until today, long after the worst excesses were eliminated.
RightLegDave
Tourist
Australia

Post by RightLegDave »

I was just talking with Amit about a week ago. I actually appear as a character in his book "Off the Rails" as John from Canada (not my real name or country). I was living in Koh Kong from 1996-1999 and I can tell you that Amit's story is very accurate, at least as far as my part of the story goes. We've actually been asked to do a podcast together about the book and Cambodia in general at that time - it should be out quite soon if anyone is interested.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

yes, definitely interested. thanks.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

RightLegDave wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:03 pm I was just talking with Amit about a week ago. I actually appear as a character in his book "Off the Rails" as John from Canada (not my real name or country). I was living in Koh Kong from 1996-1999 and I can tell you that Amit's story is very accurate, at least as far as my part of the story goes. We've actually been asked to do a podcast together about the book and Cambodia in general at that time - it should be out quite soon if anyone is interested.
yeah link it on here bro
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
smoke420
Tourist
United States of America

Post by smoke420 »

Thank. I was looking for this information
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic