EXNET taxi Mobile App:Uber like service in PP

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: EXNET taxi Mobile App:Uber like service in PP

Post by Username Taken »

We used the Exnet app yesterday for the first time, and it was a disappointment. Maybe we got scammed by the driver - I don't know.

First, it said the driver would be here in 5 minutes and would cost just under $5 to the riverside, but it was more than a ten minute wait. The driver looked very young for a taxi driver.
When booking the taxi, we gave our destination as the riverside. We actually said Riverside Bistro, even though that wasn't exactly where we were going. Myself and 2 kids jumped in to the cab, and the driver asks me where we wanted to go (huh?), I said the riverside in Khmer and English. Then the driver started driving. We got about 200 meters down the road then the driver turns to my son and asks him in Khmer where we are going. Next, the driver asks which road we should take to get to the riverside. :facepalm:
As we were travelling along I noticed the taxi-meter ticking over. When we got to Independence Monument we had to stop and wait almost 10 minutes while a motorcade went past. While we were waiting for that the taxi-meter ticked over 8000 riel, and was now well over the $5 we had been quoted.
We finally arrived at our destination, and I wasn't sure whether we pay the original quote or the taxi-meter price. I asked the driver 'how much', and he pointed to the meter 330,000 riel ($8.25).

Did we get scammed?

We had planned on using Exnet for our return journey, but opted for a tuk tuk at 150,000 riel ($3.75).
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

UT, I can't comment on your experience since I have never used their service. It would be nice to hear from those that have. Anyway you've got one too many zeros on the riels.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Ah, yes. So, it should read "33,000 riel ($8.25)", and "15,000 riel ($3.75)".

Thanks.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Below is the Exnet Summary that was emailed to us.
The distance travelled was actually about 5 Km. Not the 700 m shown on their summary.
The duration was around 20 minutes, not the 4 m 42 s (as per the summary).
And, as posted above, we paid a lot more than the 6000 KHR as shown on the summary.

I think the driver is not being totally honest.

Smells like scam to me!
gn0s1s
Tourist

Post by gn0s1s »

"Username Taken", I signed up to this forum to tell you that you should send a message to Exnet on Facebook. They reply right away and will revoke a driver's Exnet license if they know he has scammed a customer.

I had an Exnet driver show up 10 minutes late (didn't start moving until after he was supposed to have "arrived") with a car that smelled like an ashtray, then drove a unsafe speeds. While still on the ride I let Exnet know and they informed me this was unacceptable and his account would be revoked once the ride had ended.

Their customer support is quite good and responds quickly, even if they cannot always fix the issue. Give them a try.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

:popcorn:
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: EXNET taxi Mobile App:Uber like service in PP

Post by General Mackevili »

Username Taken wrote:
Did we get scammed?
Yes, bigly! Image

There are no "meters" with Exnet, and that fucker ripped you off.

The real price was only 6,000 Riel, which is what the app showed.

I'm with the above member who says you should contact Exnet and report that scammer. It will count against that driver, and hopefully the will also give you a credit for the scammed amount.

As shitty as some of that Exnet experiences I had were, I still give them some credit. It's got to be hard as hell getting this off the ground in a place like Cambodia.

Also, if you haven't left feedback for him yet, you can go into the app and rate him 1-star.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

gn0s1s wrote:"Username Taken", I signed up to this forum to tell you that you should send a message to Exnet on Facebook. They reply right away and will revoke a driver's Exnet license if they know he has scammed a customer.

I had an Exnet driver show up 10 minutes late (didn't start moving until after he was supposed to have "arrived") with a car that smelled like an ashtray, then drove a unsafe speeds. While still on the ride I let Exnet know and they informed me this was unacceptable and his account would be revoked once the ride had ended.

Their customer support is quite good and responds quickly, even if they cannot always fix the issue. Give them a try.

Excellent first post and good info, gn0s1s. Its encouraging to know that Exnet listens to customers' feedback and that you think its worth lodging a complaint. Exnet is a great idea, but will it work in Cambodia ?

Keep us posted UT. :popcorn:
Any other comments from Exnet users would be good too.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

gn0s1s wrote:"Username Taken", I signed up to this forum to tell you that you should send a message to Exnet on Facebook. They reply right away and will revoke a driver's Exnet license if they know he has scammed a customer.

Appreciate you taking the time to sign up just to reply. Ok, will message them on FB.

The problem was that I really had no idea whether you pay the price quoted when you order, or the 'meter' fare. And, then he (the driver) goes and reports to Exnet that it was a short trip for 6000 riel. :facepalm:

Damned new technology!
gn0s1s
Tourist

Post by gn0s1s »

Username Taken wrote:The problem was that I really had no idea whether you pay the price quoted when you order, or the 'meter' fare. And, then he (the driver) goes and reports to Exnet that it was a short trip for 6000 riel. :facepalm:

Damned new technology!
When the General said there is no meter, I think he was referring to a physical meter. Exnet has a GPS-based software meter, but it only displays on the driver's app and only the total is shown on the user's app, once the ride is over. At least that's how it's supposed to go. It is a problem that the tally only shows up for the driver during the ride, and I've mentioned that to Exnet this week.

To clarify, the procedure should be something like:
  1. Drop your pin on the map where you're going to be picked up (don't always rely on GPS for this as it isn't always accurate right away).
  2. Enter in any special notes the driver could use (St. & House number always help).
  3. Enter in destination (optional) or be prepared to tell the driver where to go.
  4. Make sure the app only registers "on a ride" once you actually start on your ride.
  5. When you reach your destination, insist that the driver finish the ride on the app and insist that he confirms the total.
  6. On your app, select "Pay with Cash" and pay only what has appeared on the app.
  7. Rate the ride.
  8. If anything feels fishy or you've had a bad experience (I had GPS errors on a cloudy day add about $2 to one of my trips), report it right away to Exnet on Facebook.
According to the CS guys on Facebook, the driver is supposed to have a mount where his phone can be visible to the customer as the fare is tallying up. But as is common here (if not everywhere), not everyone does what they are supposed to.

One last thing: I've found that taxi drivers here will do whatever they can to cheat their companies out of what they are owed. Old-school taxi companies get around this by charging high rental fees for their taxis and taking a big cut out of fares that come through the company's hotline. But Exnet doesn't have any of these options for making up the slack, so I'm very hesitant to call the driver "directly" for the ride home. I usually insist on doing it through Exnet (even if I let them know when to pick me up). That way there is also a recourse (via Exnet CS) if anything goes wrong with the ride.

Another last (?) thing: I have little patience for drivers who use this service and call you right away asking you where you are. I have no problems with drivers calling to confirm that I have ordered a taxi and give me an estimate of arrival (the app is not always accurate, though it is usually pretty close). But reading a map is IMNSHO an elementary part of being able to drive for Exnet. When I get a "where are you?" call I usually just cancel and try again, hoping to get someone smarter or more in tune with the app is supposed to do. I've had a lot of great drivers through this system so I know they're out there.
Last edited by gn0s1s on Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic