HE Fires, Suspends, Reinstates General

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

BY KHUON NARIM | JULY 1, 2016 | អានជាភាសាខ្មែរ

In the space of 24 hours, Prime Minister HE fired, suspended and then reinstated a three-star general in the Interior Ministry’s immigration department, who berated a traffic police officer who pulled him over for running a red light earlier this week.

On Monday, traffic police officer Sout Kanha uploaded a video to Facebook that shows an altercation between himself and Lieutenant General Mam Srimvanna, a dep­uty director of the immigration department, after he pulled the official over for driving through a red light in Phnom Penh earlier that day.

Lieutenant General Mam Srimvanna, left, poses with traffic police officer Sout Kanha yesterday in a photograph posted to Prime Minister HE’s Facebook page.

In the video, Lt. Gen. Srimvanna is seen speaking to a superior on the telephone, complaining about the fact that he has just been pulled over and referring to the police officer using the pejorative “ah,” which is considered offensive when used in an unfriendly manner.

“After turning at a traffic light, a traffic police officer saw a big car pass, but the police officer did not catch the big car. He said, ‘I don’t want to catch the big car, I want to catch your car,’” Lt. Gen. Srimvanna can be heard saying.

After hanging up, the official turns to Mr. Kanha and says: “You don’t know me.”

Mr. Kanha replies sarcastically. “Now, I want to tell you that I am a low-ranking officer, and if you want to fire me, it’s OK. I will accept my mistake if you fire me because you have already called my superior and I am a low-ranking officer,” he said, before the general and his driver get back in their Toyota RAV4 and drive away.

In his Facebook post, Mr. Kanha explains how he did, in fact, end up getting suspended from his unit following Lt. Gen. Srimvanna’s phone call, and called on Interior Minister Sar Kheng to come to his aid.

Full-story.....https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/hun- ... al-114874/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: HE Fires, Suspends, Reinstates General

Post by Username Taken »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: After hanging up, the official turns to Mr. Kanha and says: “You don’t know me.”
He should have said, "Do you know who I am?"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic