Canadian Famous Karate Trainer Can Go Back To His Home Country after Having Had His Passport Confiscated by a Hospital

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Canadian Famous Karate Trainer Can Go Back To His Home Country after Having Had His Passport Confiscated by a Hospital

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Canadian Famous Karate Trainer Can Go Back To His Home Country after Having Had His Passport Confiscated by the Hospital

According to Thmey Thmey News, a Canadian man was stuck in Cambodia as he doesn’t have enough money to pay for treatment fee for one of the hospitals in Phnom Penh. Now, he can go back to his country.

Mr. Marc Asselin, 74 years old had just received his passport back on 24 June 2016 after one of the hospitals in Phnom Penh confiscated his passport as he doesn’t have 20000 USD to pay for treatment feel. He had stayed in the hospital for 34 days since he experienced with stroke on 16 March and was brought to that hospital. The Canadian embassy in Thailand tried to settle down this issue but couldn’t until the payment has been made.

The mister of ministry of education and sport of Canada, Mr. Sebastien Proulx had donated some money to help bring Mr. Marc Asselin back to his home country.
Mr. Marc Asselin has been living in Cambodia since 2009. Within the last 40 years he has trained 500 black belt students and he had led the Karate association for 25 years.

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
LTO
Expatriate

Re: Canadian Famous Karate Trainer Can Go Back To His Home Country after Having Had His Passport Confiscated by a Hospit

Post by LTO »

So did they pay his hospital bill to get his passport back or screw the hospital and just by him a new passport? I assume and hope it is the former.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: Canadian Famous Karate Trainer Can Go Back To His Home Country after Having Had His Passport Confiscated by

Post by General Mackevili »

LTO wrote:So did they pay his hospital bill to get his passport back or screw the hospital and just by him a new passport? I assume and hope it is the former.
Fingers crossed......
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Canadian Famous Karate Trainer Can Go Back To His Home Country after Having Had His Passport Confiscated by a Hospit

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Well, I decided to use this as an opportunity to brush up on my French from when I worked the vineyards. A few google searches and Facebook stalking revealed the following:

June 1st:
http://www.journaldequebec.com/2016/05/ ... u-cambodge
The guy is 74 and well-known in martial arts circles. Lived in Cambodia since 2009. On March 19th, he had a stroke. It took 13 days before he got medical help. Gives back ground about the guy: born in a family of 16, in 1966 he starts doing Karate and finds his path. Marc is now paralyzed on the right ride of his body, can barely speak and a prisoner of his body with permanent damage. After 34 days in the hospital, he couldn't pay the $20 000 owed (NOT $2000). Not able to get his passport back, he stayed in a refuge 100km out of Phnom Penh. The minister of education and sports donated $3000. He's taught Karate for 40 years and has formed over 500 black belts and had was the directer of a Karate Federation for 25 years. "We don't leave a member of the group behind. We're bringing him back" said Paul Ohl. Paul supposedly needed medical training before he could go get him (maybe one needs basic first aid to travel with a sick person?)
A different article on the same day.
http://www.journaldequebec.com/2016/06/ ... son-maitre
One guy (Steve Dorion) is basically saying he's going to get his master. He's been doing Karate for 31 years and when Marc would come back to Quebec, he stayed with him (Steve). In the past 24 hours, a lot of progress has been made to get the necessary funds. Friends, politicians, athletes and business men and women have donated money.
Latest.
http://www.lepetitjournal.com/cambodge/ ... denouement
After Marc had to leave the hospital, someone from the Canadian embassy in Bangkok was able to find a place for him to stay at "Home of Hope" orphanage outside of Phnom Penh. People were able to collect the necessary $20 000 to get his passport back.
The guy in his prime (and a humbling demonstration of how all our bodies grow old):
A farewell to Phnom Penh:
Arrival back home:

So it's quite amazing, but it appears family, friends and other random people helped raise the money needed. He didn't bail, they paid the hospital. A happy ending to an interesting story. Quite amazing that they managed to get that money. It's great that he had such a strong support system of friends, ex students, people in the sports community and so on.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote:
the young guy looks like jamies hipster brother and he has borrowed jamies favourite shirt.
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Thirty four days in Calmette costs $20,000. That's more than $500 a day, what a fucking rip off. Porr Khmers and the health care system.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Actually, all foreigners at Calmette Hospital are given a private room and charged double the Cambodian price. So, it is slightly cheaper for locals. Considering the low level and quality
of care it is nonetheless disgraceful.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Its amazing to me they treated him at all without paying in advance. Anyhow, nice to read of a happy ending once in a while.

Still pisses me off that people travel w/o insurance and then when tragedy strikes the good will of responsible strangers (the kind that make sure to buy insurance so they are not a burden to friends and family) is called upon to fix things up.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

RickyBobby wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:53 am Its amazing to me they treated him at all without paying in advance. Anyhow, nice to read of a happy ending once in a while.

Still pisses me off that people travel w/o insurance and then when tragedy strikes the good will of responsible strangers (the kind that make sure to buy insurance so they are not a burden to friends and family) is called upon to fix things up.

Do you have any idea on how much they charge a 74 year old for in insurance .? That's why there are gamblers in this world taking risks to either win or lose, and if it only cost $20,000 ,,, then he is still a winner.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

RickyBobby wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:53 am Anyhow, nice to read of a happy ending once in a while.
You had to go back to a 2016 thread to find one?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic