A Warning for Visitors to Thailand.

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

A Warning for Visitors to Thailand.

Post by Anchor Moy »

A cautionary tale of how things can go wrong fast:
The little known Skegness Standard ran an interesting story on Sunday which should serve as a warning for all visitors to Thailand.

It went like this;

“My son is in fear of his life – please help him.” This is the plea of a mum whose disabled son was thrown into a Thai jail after picking up the wrong suitcase at the airport.

Steven Moody, who was brought up in Skegness, was on a visit to his Thai bride in April when the mix-up happened that turned a romantic holiday into a nightmare.

Mum Carol Swanson said: “I am at my wits end. Steven is severely disabled after having a large brain tumour removed in 2007. The operation lasted 10 hours and he has been left with limited sight, limited hearing, blurred vision, lack of concentration, blackouts and walks with a wobble. He has also suffered from depression and struggles to cope with everyday life.

“He met and married a Thai girl who is living in Thailand and the nightmare began when he went to visit her. There seems to have been some confusion over a suitcase – I believe he picked up the wrong one. As a result he was arrested and sent to Samut Parkan prison just outside Bangkok.

“His ‘crime’ I understand is theft. Steven didn’t realise he had picked up the wrong suitcase until he was at his wife’s home – a three-hour drive away. He had chosen a bright yellow one to make it easy to spot. When he realised his mistake he panicked and threw it away, but now the owner is claiming it contained £20,000 worth of diamonds...
Read on: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/2262 ... ravellers/
So, was he an innocent victim of a mix up, a fool carrying contraband, or was it a set up by his Thai "family" ? So many weird stories coming out of Thailand.
Cambodia is not (yet) in the same league when it comes to foreigners being seriously fkd up.