What to do when you get lost in the jungle?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Re: What to do when you get lost in the jungle?

Post by bolueeleh »

Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Thanks everyone of all the advises. Just two weeks ago, I happened to go into a forest for work. I have zero experiences about hiking or going into the forest. I didn't bring anything at all beside a big bottle of water, pens, notebooks and books and some chewing gums . I thought it would be just a short motorbike ride and a bit of hiking up the hill, but it turned out to be something that i would described as the most hardest hiking that i have ever experienced [I only have been hiking once in Mondolkiri/ 1.5 hours hiking]. Four of us don't know about the place we were heading to. We got lost two times, on the way there and on the way back. It took us 6 hours with motorbike ride and walking and hiking to get to our destination. BTW, i have been really sick the last couple days, just got better today. I thought i had dengue or malaria as i was bitten really bad by mosquito when i was in the forest.

Hiking is not my cup of tea and i will never find of the excitement of doing it and i might not do it again.

@Bitte Kein Lexus, i don't get mad with you. I love everyone, Even Boomer claimed that he is my friend.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Don't ever go alone - look what happened to that young guy who got lost in Thailand recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Samouth wrote:Thanks everyone of all the advises. Just two weeks ago, I happened to go into a forest for work. I have zero experiences about hiking or going into the forest. I didn't bring anything at all beside a big bottle of water, pens, notebooks and books and some chewing gums . I thought it would be just a short motorbike ride and a bit of hiking up the hill, but it turned out to be something that i would described as the most hardest hiking that i have ever experienced [I only have been hiking once in Mondolkiri/ 1.5 hours hiking]. Four of us don't know about the place we were heading to. We got lost two times, on the way there and on the way back. It took us 6 hours with motorbike ride and walking and hiking to get to our destination. BTW, i have been really sick the last couple days, just got better today. I thought i had dengue or malaria as i was bitten really bad by mosquito when i was in the forest.

Hiking is not my cup of tea and i will never find of the excitement of doing it and i might not do it again.

@Bitte Kein Lexus, i don't get mad with you. I love everyone, Even Boomer claimed that he is my friend.
Haha, yeah well Khmers hate to walk anywhere, so 1.5 hours would likely feel like an eternity. Why did you guys get lost? Didn't you have a local guide? I've been on some trails in a few places recently when there are a ton of loggers' trails, so it gets quite difficult to figure out which way to go. I was in Koh Kong three months ago riding my bike and got lost. I knew I had missed my turn, so started drifting towards Aural as i could see there would be a village only 15km (if I could find a trail going there). There were tons of twisting logging roads, which made it difficult as I was going in circles. Luckily I eventually fell upon on a tiny loggers camp where the wife of one of the loggers stayed. She pointed me in the right direction/trail and voila...

Hiking certainly isn't for everyone, and it's not much fun in Cambodia. But you miss out on wonderful sights if you give up on it. Still, it's not a very Cambodian thing to do. My dream is to meet a Cambodian girl and make her push herself beyond her limits in a similar environment. If she doesn't crack, then I'll know she's the one.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Amazing photos BKL , but what is this turd doing here in this pristine landscape? ;)
Thx anyway; :good:
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Anchor Moy wrote:Amazing photos BKL , but what is this turd doing here in this pristine landscape? ;)
Thx anyway; :good:
thats not a turd! thats bigfoot!
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

@Bitte Kein Lexus

We got lost the first place because four of us didn't know exactly the way to the village that we were heading to. We ended up in the middle of nowhere. Then, we gave up. We came back, but luckily we met one of the villagers on the way. So, we decided to follow in which we eventually arrived the village.

After we finished our works, we came back, but the woman we met didn't come back with us, just only four of us. At one point, my motordop wanted to avoid the muddy route, so he went into another way going up hill. Since, i wasn't familiar with the road, i told him that we got lost and it wasn't the road that we used before. So four of us sat down, it was already 5 pm. My motordop insisted to explore more hoping we would find a way out. I discussed with my co-worker and we disagreed with him. We required him to go back to the way that we used before which turned out to be a smart move. As, otherwise, we would end up going uphill in the middle of nowhere. No foods and basically nothing i have.

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

rozzieoz wrote:Don't ever go alone - look what happened to that young guy who got lost in Thailand recently.

Nah i will never go alone. I can't survive in the forest.

rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

I've been reading about a walk through the jungle from Beng Melea to Preah Kahn on the ancient highway - I would love to do this! But I know I'd get about 2km into the jungle and be looking for a Tuktuk lol

Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic