Open a Youth Hostel in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
mammothboy2
Expatriate

Re: Open a Youth Hostel in Cambodia

Post by mammothboy2 »

SERIOUS SUGGESTION: Offer to work as unpaid (merely provided with bed and board) interns for at
least a couple of months so
you can get the hang of the business.

Sad to say, I've seen smart and industrious people fail in business here, in restaurants and guesthouses.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

mammothboy2 wrote: Sad to say, I've seen smart and industrious people fail in business here, in restaurants and guesthouses.
yes, business isnt juz abt great ideas, it is also abt time, opportunity, luck, right environment, correct people to work with, determination etc, the list goes on
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Getting the right lease and rent is key. You're going to be charging $3 a berth and 75c for beer when your electricity costs you a few hundred a month plus staff at $120 a month each. What about Kep?
table42
Expatriate

Post by table42 »

Somehow I get the feeling that the girls have broken contact because they didn't get the answers they wanted.
I try not to let my mouth say nothin my mind can't stand. Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong. Or

I know nothing, I see nothing, in fact I'm not here right now.
Romanian source debriefed in West Berlin
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

than i can say what i really think
a money losing business idea.. :stir:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

i thought we were very gentle
table42
Expatriate

Post by table42 »

"i thought we were very gentle"

Oh, they were good answers, they just weren't the ones they wanted to hear.
I try not to let my mouth say nothin my mind can't stand. Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong. Or

Sandrine07
Tourist

Post by Sandrine07 »

Hello Everyone,

First of all, I would like to thank you all for your reactivity and comments on the subject. "Table 42" I came here with no expectaction, I was not waiting for a specific kind of answers, I knew i was not specific enough with my questions but I was curious about all your answers and I can say that it is very interesting to read all of you.

I understand the concerns and I am going to consider all the risks but let start with a positive mind :) Shall we?

About some of your questions: " why cambodia?
We were looking for a country not yet too overcrowed in the tourism sector. Not like Thailand or China. Myanmar was our first idea but this country is really too complicated to set up something.Then Cambodia was another option, French is one the language and of course the hospitality industry is developping quickly but not as much as in other countries. Bonus, I have some "family" over there. My brother is married with a cambodian which could help at some point.

Questions: stay by yourself or let someone managing for you?
We will be there from the beginning until the end! The purpose of that trip is not to make money it is about experience! We both have an entrepreneur mindset and Asia is a place where we can try to start something with not too many budget compare to Europe and America. If we failed (which we don't want of course ^^) We will still learn.
We know we want to experience that project, maybe an hostel in Cambodia is not the best idea, maybe it is not the worse either... We are open to suggestions, that is why I am here right now with you :)

Questions: come here to see yourself:
-It is our plan, but before coming, I think it is better to collect all the in formation to be efficient once we are in Cambodia.
We won't do everything by distance but we can't just show up with no plan and start something in the rush. We plan to come next february to explore the market. During that time we work on it, feel free to keep giving your advices please :)

Do you have experience in the hospitality industryManagement?
- I was a manager for 3 years in the retail industry so managing a team, recruitment, running the business,... I can not say I know everything but I know the basic and some more. Then I've been working for 10 years in the hospitality industry (restaurant - hotel- hostel- café) And I know that being multi-task, organized, proactive, dynamic and most of it kind and open with the client are the keys to success. Now I am working in a bank in trade Development. So I am helping SME to expand abroad and the first step is always a market study to analyse the potential. My friend as also experiences in the hospitality industry and knows how to manage a team.

Be sure that we are bot ambitious, dynamic and we won't give up on our dream!! Then we are not fool, we are looking for mentors, for people with experiences in the area, we are here for help not for critics. But I can't complain here :)

After some more researches I don't think we will looking for Phnom Penh and Siem Reap any more. There are already too many hostels.
Cities along the beaches are maybe our favorite spot or in the nature.

We are also pretty creative and "just set up a hostel" is not going to happend. We are going to develop this summer a tour guide in Brussels to experiment new ideas.

Please let me know your thoughts and let's discuss about it :)

thank you all

Sandrine
Globies
Expatriate

Post by Globies »

Sandrine07 wrote:Hello Everyone,

First of all, I would like to thank you all for your reactivity and comments on the subject. "Table 42" I came here with no expectaction, I was not waiting for a specific kind of answers, I knew i was not specific enough with my questions but I was curious about all your answers and I can say that it is very interesting to read all of you.

I understand the concerns and I am going to consider all the risks but let start with a positive mind :) Shall we?

About some of your questions: " why cambodia?
We were looking for a country not yet too overcrowed in the tourism sector. Not like Thailand or China. Myanmar was our first idea but this country is really too complicated to set up something.Then Cambodia was another option, French is one the language and of course the hospitality industry is developping quickly but not as much as in other countries. Bonus, I have some "family" over there. My brother is married with a cambodian which could help at some point.

Questions: stay by yourself or let someone managing for you?
We will be there from the beginning until the end! The purpose of that trip is not to make money it is about experience! We both have an entrepreneur mindset and Asia is a place where we can try to start something with not too many budget compare to Europe and America. If we failed (which we don't want of course ^^) We will still learn.
We know we want to experience that project, maybe an hostel in Cambodia is not the best idea, maybe it is not the worse either... We are open to suggestions, that is why I am here right now with you :)

Questions: come here to see yourself:
-It is our plan, but before coming, I think it is better to collect all the in formation to be efficient once we are in Cambodia.
We won't do everything by distance but we can't just show up with no plan and start something in the rush. We plan to come next february to explore the market. During that time we work on it, feel free to keep giving your advices please :)

Do you have experience in the hospitality industryManagement?
- I was a manager for 3 years in the retail industry so managing a team, recruitment, running the business,... I can not say I know everything but I know the basic and some more. Then I've been working for 10 years in the hospitality industry (restaurant - hotel- hostel- café) And I know that being multi-task, organized, proactive, dynamic and most of it kind and open with the client are the keys to success. Now I am working in a bank in trade Development. So I am helping SME to expand abroad and the first step is always a market study to analyse the potential. My friend as also experiences in the hospitality industry and knows how to manage a team.

Be sure that we are bot ambitious, dynamic and we won't give up on our dream!! Then we are not fool, we are looking for mentors, for people with experiences in the area, we are here for help not for critics. But I can't complain here :)

After some more researches I don't think we will looking for Phnom Penh and Siem Reap any more. There are already too many hostels.
Cities along the beaches are maybe our favorite spot or in the nature.

We are also pretty creative and "just set up a hostel" is not going to happend. We are going to develop this summer a tour guide in Brussels to experiment new ideas.

Please let me know your thoughts and let's discuss about it :)

thank you all

Sandrine
Who cares just try it they are negative here and will try ro put you down.
table42
Expatriate

Post by table42 »

I'm not negative but it's my job to be a sour note in hipster musical spheres.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic