Are Prices Coming Down On Certain Items ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Are Prices Coming Down On Certain Items ?

Post by juansweetpotato »

Is it just me or do others reackon prices on certain western items in the SMs are coming down?
For example;

Mature cheddar @ Thai Huot. 20$ per Kg
Salami (Singapore) $5.20 for just over 250g
Mars bars at the moment 60c in Thai Huot.

Even Bayon has got some bargains in it nowadays.
What do you think? Up, down or same as always?
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Are Prices Coming Down On Certain Items ?

Post by Duncan »

I'm a pretty fussy buyer with my grocery shopping, and I can't say I have seen anything come down in price that is worth while talking about. Lucky is always more expensive than Bayon , if you compare the identical items . Meaning the same brand, same size, same weight. I noticed Bayon items would creep up 5 c and the Lucky item would go up 10 c . Coming down ??? never .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Can't say I ever pay attention to the prices of grocery items...if I want/need it, then I just buy it.
franzjaeger
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by franzjaeger »

Some things are outrageous, 2oz onion powder is about $6 dollars, small jar of sour cream $7 at Lucky's, kind of hard to make a good sandwich spread without some of that stuff sometimes, but the prices have gone way up of late.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

I noticed cans of beer jumped from 50c to 60c since I was last here in March. And the free can pulltab promo has finished too :(
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I buy my cheese from lhs $9 a kilo for basic cheddar. Fuck supermarket prices. Been some time since my last visit, but the deli,and veggies used kick lucky lucky and bayon for cheese prices
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I like yoghurt . In Australia the price for a one kg tub is anywhere between A$4 and A$6. That would be about USA $3.50,, yet I have seen one kg tubs at Lucky for around the $12 mark.. Doesn't worry me though , cause I make my own now. Considering a one litre container of milk is only $2 , you can see someone is making a nice profit.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

timmydownawell wrote:I noticed cans of beer jumped from 50c to 60c since I was last here in March. And the free can pulltab promo has finished too :(
Beer is about the only product that I notice the price of. Most Mom n pop stores and dedicated liquour stores still sell cases of Anchor/Angkor/Cambodia from $11.50 -13.50. My regular mom n pop store sells me Cambodia cases for $12, and the pull tab promo is still going.

Beer/liquour prices are usually higher in supermarkets and mini marts.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

PSD-Kiwi wrote:mom n pop store sells me Cambodia cases for $12, and the pull tab promo is still going.
Must stop by at my old mom n pop shop and see if they're still 50c then. I had a few free can tabs and the store I was at refused to take them, and the cans they were selling only had the flip type tabs on them so no more free beers (or be it 500r beers).
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Duncan wrote:I'm a pretty fussy buyer with my grocery shopping, and I can't say I have seen anything come down in price that is worth while talking about. Lucky is always more expensive than Bayon , if you compare the identical items . Meaning the same brand, same size, same weight. I noticed Bayon items would creep up 5 c and the Lucky item would go up 10 c . Coming down ??? never .
Not true. Well, not on some things. I was out at Camko and bought some timtam biscuits for $1. I noticed that in Lucky they are apprx 1.20 and in Bayon 2.30! Surely they must be just guessing at what price to sell things at.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic