The Cambodian Stock Exchange (CSX) - why is it not working ?

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
J. Visiting
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: The Cambodian Stock Exchange (CSX) - why is it not working ?

Post by J. Visiting »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:04 pm And this is why the CSX will never work for the ordinary Khmer and hence will never really take off. All the ‘investors’ are corporations and insider entities. Rife with behind the scene deals. CSX needs clean house and force GFX to be transparent. But it won’t happen. It can’t happen.
Don't be brainless, Newkid,

Tell us what is the connection between CSX and GFX...
Kahuna
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kahuna »

:beer3: Just a quick note @J. Visiting that while @newkidontheblock does have at times out there comments at times I think he's fairly well on the mark with his post re the CSX and GFX. Perhaps if you had read from the start of this thread you may have a better understanding and that would add the context to his post and make it clearer to you.

As for GFX, it comes across very much as a Ponzi scheme protected by the political and business connections on the board and even the Khmer Times, that bastion of investigative reporting (very tic) back in April I think, made mention that monies could not be withdrawn from the company without the approval of the managing director. Then look at who made up the board. This does not mean they have had any involvement but the fact that there is very little being done to investigate who was involved and where the funds currently as well as asking clients to pay more money to start legal proceedings shows are clear lack of responsibility from all involved. This backs up New Kids statement that GFX needs to be transparent. Look for GFX Cambodia and reports from the Khmer Times on Google and there is a wealth of information on there and anyone reading that first may never have invested in the company.

As for the CSX, seeing that it has yet to find any ground shows a lack of confidence by even the rich within Cambodia and perhaps they are privy to information that the ordinary Khmer and foreign investor is not.

Agree or disagree is up to you but if you are to reply at least provide some substance to your comment. :beer3:
J. Visiting
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by J. Visiting »

You fail to mention any connection between CSX and the company GFX.

Are you saying that GFX was a listed company ? I don't see that anywhere.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Real estate firm receives CSX nod to list on Growth Board
May Kunmakara | Publication date 04 August 2021 | 20:28 ICT

The Cambodia Securities Exchange launched its Growth Board in late 2015 as a secondary platform to lift some of the barriers for listing and cater more to companies with less access to capital or financial resources. Hong Menea

Real estate developer JS Land Plc has gotten the nod from the Cambodia Securities Exchange (CSX) to list on its Growth Board, and is poised to become the second small- and medium-sized enterprise (SME) to list on the bourse’s secondary board after DBD Engineering Plc, pending final approval from the securities regulator.

The CSX on July 22 granted approval in principle of JS Land’s equity securities listing eligibility review application for trading on the Growth Board, the bourse said in a press release on August 3.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-prop ... owth-board
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

The Cambodia Securities Exchange has decided to examine the possibility of listing the sale of Tel Cotech bonds.
By TR110
Posted on August 19, 2021
Cambodia News, (Phnom Penh): On 19 August 2021, the Cambodia Securities Exchange (CSX) agreed in principle on the application to check the feasibility of listing of Tel Cotech Ltd.
Tel Cotech Ltd is a Cambodian telecommunications company.
Spoiler:
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
J. Visiting
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by J. Visiting »

Is CEOCambodiaNews also one of the "hate Cambodia" gang?

Why the title of this thread says the exchange "is not working" ?

Exactly what is your problem with "how it is working" ?

You could have tripled your money on Phnom Penh Port, but you didn't, did you ?
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

J. Visiting wrote:Exactly what is your problem with "how it is working" ?

You could have tripled your money on Phnom Penh Port, but you didn't, did you ?
Please go back through the thread. It’s very specific about why isn’t not working. As compared to most western stock markets, the average Cambodian does not invest in CSX, and for very good reason.

If you can’t be bothered to actually read about it, well, that’s part of the problem.

I could bet on ponies, or cards, or lottery numbers and triple my money as well. If you are implying that the CSX is simply another form of gambling, then I agree with you.

If you think it’s a sound investment, then I completely disagree with you.

For starters, how much public information is known about Phnom Penh Port? Contrast that to any company listed on a western stock market.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

SERC says taking GoldFX to capital’s Prosecutor’s Office
Hin Pisei | Publication date 22 August 2021 | 20:42 ICT

The Securities and Exchange Regulator of Cambodia (SERC) on August 20 said it is conducting legal proceedings against besieged GoldFX Investment Co Ltd with the Phnom Penh Municipal Prosecutor’s Office.

The regulator has also requested a deeper probe into the derivatives broker over misconduct and questionable practices, as well as the resolution of all complaints concerning relevant criminal cases, it said in Press Release No 018/21.

SERC said complaints regarding GoldFX Investment have kept coming in since March 30, when it issued a press release encouraging clients who feel they have been wronged by the firm to come forward.

“The case has resulted in a number of complaints from GoldFX Investment clients, prompting the SERC to conduct legal proceedings with the prosecutor’s office, and request further investigation into the company’s suspicious operations, as well as the settlement of all complaints against the firm pertaining to relevant criminal cases,” it said.

Aiming to smooth and expedite the process, SERC called on the public, clients and all stakeholders to cooperate in accordance with the procedures in force.

SERC officials – including those without the status of civil servants deemed “necessary” and recruited to work at the regulatory agency – have the legal capacity as judicial police and have functions as set in the Code of Criminal Procedure and relevant legislation, the regulator said.

This, it noted, is stipulated in Article 10 of the Law on the Issuance and Trading of Non-Government Securities and Article 16 of Sub-Decree No 97/ANKR/BK on the Organisation and Functioning of the SERC.

After receiving permission from the Phnom Penh Municipal Prosecutor’s Office with letter No 637 dated August 5, SERC judicial police officers continue to investigate suspicious transactions and complaints from clients against GoldFX Investment and GFX International Co Ltd, with the authority granted under the provisions of the Code of Criminal Procedure, according to the regulator.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/ ... ors-office

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:12 am
...the average Cambodian does not invest in CSX, and for very good reason.
Not disagreeing, just wondering what the reason that is very good, is.

[/quote]
I could bet on ponies, or cards, or lottery numbers and triple my money as well. If you are implying that the CSX is simply another form of gambling, then I agree with you.

If you think it’s a sound investment, then I completely disagree with you.
[/quote]

Firstly, the stock markets are essential for company growth - without IPOs, most companies growth would would struggle or never happen. Unemployment up. A third world.
All investing and gambling has the risk of capital to gain profit.
Stock investing is not gambling. At all. Unless you regard driving and crossing the road as gambling.
There are about as similar as rugby and soccer. And all 4 need balls.
If rugby players don't pick up the ball, it's pretty much, football. If share buyers and traders are complacent or novices, they jeopardise profit-earning potential. An equivalent gambler risks losing all their money.
Investors are buying part ownership in a company (I am going to state the obvious, herein, because you have obviously overlooked a few things or are unaware). They need to ascertain a company's future profitability. To keep up to speed with a company's value, they can utilise fundamental and technical charting analysis, study factual news (never opinions), and metrics.
Investors can apply stop-losses and stop-profits (which I never do - maximising your profits is as important as minimising your loss. Moreso, for me).
Gambling is a set time period, a single stock buy can go forever.
Gamblers rely on luck, way more - GGs, well the saying goes, "you won't see a bookie on a bicycle", apart from poker, at best, you might turn the odds to 50/50, but I doubt it. A good poker player studies opposition's behavour like play-patterns and "tells".
Investors do follow patterns when charting, but they have Company information through company filings and the interweb, where they can check out assets, debts, umbrella companies, the works.
There has to be a winner and a loser with gambling. Gambling takes money from a loser and gives the same money over to a winner every time. This is labeled "a zero-sum game." In organised gambling a cut goes to the establishment or dealer.
Investing can have partial winners and losers because they can act anytime.
In gambling the pot value is passed between players.

I have had this argument before, and as I say, if you don't take stock investing intensely, the similarity to gambling increases. But the non-serious of both gambling and investing are different beasts to the committed. Gambling they will lose it all, the non-attentive investor might lose some, or worst case, all, but might even win.
I am sure we are all discussing the professionals of both, rather than someone who throws $100 in the pokies and returns for the outcome after dinner..

Gambling - you win or lose the money you bet.
With investing, a value is created. It increases a company's profits through higher productivity and innovation, by affording R&D. The long-term game means investors receive dividends as the profits rise. Economies prosper and people's lives improve. Nothing like gambling's zero game.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

J. Visiting wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:12 am Is CEOCambodiaNews also one of the "hate Cambodia" gang?

Why the title of this thread says the exchange "is not working" ?

Exactly what is your problem with "how it is working" ?
Thread titles are whatever the first post title is, and in this case the title was a reasonable description of one of the articles being quoted.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic