Taxi Driver Sues Customs Officers for Assault at Poipet Border.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Taxi Driver Sues Customs Officers for Assault at Poipet Border.

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

As part of a continuing dispute between taxi drivers and customs officials over untaxed goods at the border, a taxi driver is suing for $100,000 for assault. He was allegedly strangled and smashed against his car by a customs officer at Poipet.
Taxi Driver Sues Customs Officials

The taxi driver who was filmed allegedly being assaulted by customs officials last month has sued three of his attackers for $100,000, while the officials have launched a counter-suit.

Pek Chanra, a driver from the Santepheap Taxi Network, was accused by customs officials on May 18 of allegedly carrying untaxed goods across the Cambodia-Thai border at Poipet. A scuffle ensued and video leaked online showing the alleged assault went viral.

Mr. Chanra filed the complaint against chief of Banteay Meanchey provincial customs headquarters Chhe Sothea, Huy Socheat, the chief of Poipet customs office, and customs official Rath Vireak.

The video posted on Facebook shows Mr. Vireak trying to choke Mr. Chanra and ramming him against the hood of his car with the help of a paramilitary police officer, drawing widespread condemnation online.

Mr. Chanra said his car is still impounded by customs with officials refusing to release it.

“Up until now, I haven’t resumed my business because my car is at Banteay Meanchey provincial customs office. They don’t have a solution yet. When we approached them, they always said they are busy,” he said.

“I filed the complaint on May 31. I want the court to give me justice and compensation of $100,000.”

Santepheap Taxi Network president Ung Thap Raing said they have yet to see the results from the prosecution, and added that customs officials have harassed other network drivers for carrying untaxed goods, an accusation which is unfounded, he said...
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/25731/ ... officials/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Taxi Driver Sues Customs Officers for Assault at Poipet Border.

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

The dispute continues between taxi drivers and customs officers on the Poipet border checkpoint to Thailand.
Taxi drivers, who are protesting against shake-downs by customs officers,have formed a sort of union called Peace of Taxi Network. Basically, the taxi drivers have had enough of being stopped in the border area by customs officers who claim duty for whatever is in the car. Things came to a head with the assault of a driver and the impounding of his taxi - see the OP.

Forty drivers drove from Poipet to Siem Reap in protest yesterday.
Drivers Protest Border Extortion
“The protest had three main purposes. First, we wanted two vehicles seized on April 24 and May 13 back. Second, we want the mobile officials to stop chasing our group on the public roads because it can be dangerous.

“And third, we want the officials to stop taking the unofficial fee of 20,000 riel ($5) per day or $150 per month,” he said, adding that the fees were being pocketed and now receipts were issued.
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/26582/ ... extortion/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic